Oh no. I'm getting pops and crackles

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Yellowcake

Oh no. I'm getting pops and crackles

Post by Yellowcake »

Hello all, hope you're in fine fettle.

I'm at my wits end here. After many years of using Mixcraft I'm starting to have real problems with pops and crackles. I've recently bought a Motu M2 after the driver on my Tascam US-4x4 became very unstable. I just need a basic 2 in 2 out interface and the Motu gets rave reviews so I bought one last week.

Now I'm so disappointed. Whether I set the sampling rate on 44.1 or 48kHz and the buffer size on 256 or 512 it makes no difference. It also doesn't matter what plugin I'm using either - one of Mixcraft's stock variants or an industry standard like EZ drummer - I'm getting excessive pops and crackles.

I've just never had this before. I've got a decent PC - Windows 10, core i7 quad, 16GB RAM. I just don't know how to diagnose this. I can't believe the Motu is causing these problems - it's literally brand new.

Any thoughts guys? Many thanks.

Dave
Acoustica Greg

Re: Oh no. I'm getting pops and crackles

Post by Acoustica Greg »

HI,

And I take it you're using ASIO mode, since you mentioned buffers instead of latency. Does going way up on the buffers have any effect at all?

Did you go to Motu's web page to download and install the latest driver?

If you're using a USB hub, try plugging directly into your computer instead. You can also try a different USB port. If you've got a super long USB cable, try a shorter one, and make sure it's not passing near any electromagnetic devices.

If those things don't help, a log file might be instructive.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Yellowcake

Post by Yellowcake »

Yep done all that stuff Greg. Using ASIO. Generally fluctuating between 256 and 512 buffer size. Random pops on both but not all the time. Tried switching USB ports; the cable is pretty short.

Quite a random thing. I'm sure I've noticed pops even when playing YouTube videos. Trouble is, I'm paranoid now :-)

Didn't have these problems with my Tascam interface. But the US-4x4 was discontinued and the drivers became very flaky at best. Lost sound altogether on a couple of occasions. During a Zoom call actually.

Dave
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Could it be a static electricity thing? Surge protector, other loose connection? I get static in my house, hasn't gotten me recording yet!

M
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

I realize this isn't helpful but it really bothers me that you started this with "Oh no" instead of "Oh snap". Please don't let it happen again...I wouldn't want you to be a cereal offender.... :o
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Could have been "uh-oh" if it was spaghetti night... :D
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

freightgod wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:11 pm I realize this isn't helpful but it really bothers me that you started this with "Oh no" instead of "Oh snap". Please don't let it happen again...I wouldn't want you to be a cereal offender.... :o
:lol:
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Yellowcake wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:14 pm Yep done all that stuff Greg. Using ASIO. Generally fluctuating between 256 and 512 buffer size. Random pops on both but not all the time. Tried switching USB ports; the cable is pretty short.

Quite a random thing. I'm sure I've noticed pops even when playing YouTube videos. Trouble is, I'm paranoid now :-)

Didn't have these problems with my Tascam interface. But the US-4x4 was discontinued and the drivers became very flaky at best. Lost sound altogether on a couple of occasions. During a Zoom call actually.

Dave
Hi,

You downloaded the latest driver from their web page? If you increase the buffers even higher (just as a test), is there any positive effect?

Greg
Yellowcake

Post by Yellowcake »

Well after countless hours messing about with just about everything in my PC, I think I've sorted this. If this helps just one person then my work is done :-) If anyone is having weird sound problems with popping and dropping out and you've tried just about everything else, then try this (copied verbatim from a forum):

"SOLUTION: Disable Fast Boot

STEPS: Control Panel - Power Options - (Left) Choose What The Power Buttons Do - Change Settings That Are Currently Unavailable - Now Uncheck or Deselect 'Turn On Fast Startup' - Click Save Changes and then fully Shut Down Computer (not restart) - Power Computer Back On - PROBLEM SOLVED. Your computer will obviously boot up just a little bit slower with this option disabled, but it instantly solved this problem that I had been putting up with for a year."

Actually, I haven't noticed any real slowdown with startup. Remember I was getting pops not only in Mixcraft but also playing YouTube videos and sound in general. One day, this may help someone :)

Dave
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Wow, I'd never heard of that one before. Whether it works probably depends upon the specific hardware and audio drivers involved, but it's definitely worth a try for people, especially if it only affects cold boots (not restarts), and doesn't seem to add much time to the boot.

Hah, that setting is buried pretty deep in the power settings.

Greg