Needed: Help bringing a complete orchestration midi file to Mixcraft-9

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Elkwood

Needed: Help bringing a complete orchestration midi file to Mixcraft-9

Post by Elkwood »

Dear Acoustica experts,

I have owned the "Pro"-level product for many years since Pro Studio 6 and I know I love Mixcraft, - I'm just overwhelmed and need some guidance getting educated to use it. With my first degree in Music, I spent the rest of my career in technical pursuits, always keeping up my playing and arranging on the side, and my plans for serious composing were postponed for retirement, which is where I am finally. While I have, through the years, spent snippets of time trying to get my arms around the vast potential of Mixcraft, I now have a sizable composition I am bringing to it (from MuseScore in midi format) and don't really know where to start.

I am very active with the MuseScore community and would like to introduce many there to use Mixcraft, too - after I get good at it. I have recently completed a large composition for orchestra and exported it to midi. My challenge now is make it sound as best as I can short of having an orchestra to perform it and I don't think there is a better way then with Mixcraft-9, ...except I don't really know where to start. After I load my .mid file all the instruments show up properly and most the names are correct. I know the basics of selecting instruments for tracks and adjusting sounds, adding effects, etc. Here's what I think I need help with first:

1.) How do I line up measures with the music in the piece?

2.) How do I find & enter my rehersal marks (waypoints) in the large (11 minute) piece?

2.) How do I control all tempos (they change in many places)?

3.) How do I control time-signatures changes (they also change in many places)?

4.) How do I look at and use the undocked "Details" screen? I can only see the piano part now in an entire orchestra. I would like to fine tune phrasings dynamics, etc.

I'm happy to study hard but Your help with pointing me to toward the best available texts, YouTube videos, etc. will be greatly appreciated. I have the Mixcraft-9 manual, i just think it's not written for someone with my focussed needs.

I appreciate your help. Please tell me how I can reciprocate.
Acoustica Greg

Re: Needed: Help bringing a complete orchestration midi file to Mixcraft-9

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I replied to your support ticket.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
bigaquarium

Re: Needed: Help bringing a complete orchestration midi file to Mixcraft-9

Post by bigaquarium »

Hi,

Most of what you want to do is accomplished with "Markers". You can double click anywhere in the bar above the measure numbers to insert a marker, which will allow you to also change the tempo and time signature at each marker. You can also display a list of all of your markers from the view menu, you can use this list to play from any marker, and make other changes.
Marker.PNG
Marker.PNG (16.45 KiB) Viewed 24203 times
In addition there is a Master Tempo automation lane if you display the master track (button next to the "+Track" button). Then click on the dropdown next to the arm button to switch from the Master Volume to the Master Tempo automation lane.
tempo.PNG
tempo.PNG (12.62 KiB) Viewed 24203 times
N