E-Drums into MC - Hi Hat doenst stay closed

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

EchoFX

E-Drums into MC - Hi Hat doenst stay closed

Post by EchoFX »

Hi!
I currently just wanted to goof arround with my inexpensive Alesis Turbo Mesh E-Drum set and want to record simple stuff into Mixcraft.
But its kinda frustrating...

When i press the Hi Hat Pedal down the Hi Hat doesnt stay closed. It makes the closing sound, but after that its open again. I tryed everything.
I dont know how to fix this.
When i plug my Headphones directly into the E-drums it works fine but when i just want to use the E-Drums as a Midi-Controller to Mixcraft play the drums it doesnt work.

There is no Software where i chould remap anything from Alesis.

Does anyone can help me?
Cheers !!!
bigaquarium

Re: E-Drums into MC - Hi Hat doenst stay closed

Post by bigaquarium »

Hi, I have the Alesis DM-6 and it doesn't have this problem. Are you using a drum plugin of some kind? I've tried mine with SSD5, MT Power DrumKit and Kontakt 6, and they all seem ok, but I did have to change the MIDI output format to General MIDI from inside the Alesis module.

Nathan
EchoFX

Post by EchoFX »

Im just using some of the Drum Plugins in Mixcraft and EZdrums. It also doesnt work when i use EZdrums outside of the DAW. So i feel like it has something to do with the Midi Output.
I read the user guide, but there is no such thing then changing to general Midi. It just says like connect the thing with USB and stuff. The usual.

how did you set the output to general midi? Maybe it somehow works with mine aswell
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

Hi. On mine the pattern button lets you choose between 2 or 3 MIDI maps for the USB output. The default one is crazy, I think the HiHat pedal plays Tom 3 or something like that.

Nathan
EchoFX

Post by EchoFX »

Ive allready tested every pattern if it makes any difference. nothing. Its strange since with headphones the hi hat stays closed if i press the pedal. I have no idea
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

Hmmm. Is there any chance that MIDI note was ever assigned with MIDI learn in Mixcraft?

Can you record a MIDI clip with just the pedal and post a screen shot of the piano roll?
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

in general there are three standard drum MIDI mappings for Hi-Hat:

Starting from MIDI Key base one as opposed to base zero

F#2 = Closed Hi Hat Stick hit
G#2 = Pedal Hi Hat (closed hi hat sound after stepping on pedal - doesn't open on release)
A#2 = Open Hi Hat. Should be programmed to Stay open until F#2 or G#2 is triggered

On your drum kit, there's likely an "after trigger" MIDI command that's sent once you step on the pedal. Your description sounds like Stepping down produces a G#2 then an A#2
EchoFX

Post by EchoFX »

I just discovered this Midi learn function but i got a clue how that whole thing works.

The screenshot makes exactly the thing which i dont want. It recognice the Pedal Hi Hat and then Open.
But keep in mind i was pressing the Pedal down the whole time. So all the open hi hats execpt the last 2 should be closed
Attachments
Hihat.jpg
Hihat.jpg (115.04 KiB) Viewed 5216 times
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Contact Alesis and see if there is a way to control the MIDI output of the pedal.

In this particular case, the hardware needs to not send the open hi-hat while the pedal is down. Your screen shot indicates a G#2 and an A#2 as I suspected.

It could be a velocity setting. If the pedal goes down with a certain velocity, it might trigger the second note. Try stepping on the pedal lightly vs stepping on it with force. Does it make any difference?

Also, there might be a combined trigger effect. If you close the hi hat then immediately strike it with a stick simultaneously (in theory causing F#2) that might prevent the open hi hat midi trigger until you release the pedal. Try playing a pattern like ti ti ti tsss ti ti ti tsss .

Also, could the bass drum pedal be plugged into the wrong port? If the bass drum pedal is up maybe that's sending a false open hi hat signal.
RollingStone

Post by RollingStone »

choose "foot pedal" or similar at the check box, where currently "velocity" is chosen and check, if there are any amplitudes that could cause the wrong behaviour.
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

Do you have automatic quantization turned on? That might be a contributing factor if you do.