Vocal Mic Needed

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

slh2536

Vocal Mic Needed

Post by slh2536 »

I'm looking to buy a vocal Mic for recording into Mixcraft. Looking for a good inexpensive one on a small budget. Preferably one that comes with a windscreen in a package bundle.
JonInc

Re: Vocal Mic Needed

Post by JonInc »

Do you have a proper audio interface with XLR inputs? If not, then your options are limited and you'll probably have to get a USB microphone.

With an audio interface, you can use a more professional microphone. I strongly recommend you do some research on microphone types/Buying your first microphone before taking the plunge.

I would personally recommend starting out with a dynamic mic in the $100 range -- for example the Shure SM58.

If you need something much more sensitive, a condenser mic is a better choice. It picks up every little noise around you. Note that this can be a major challenge if you're not that experienced in recording. Also, condenser mics require phantom power - usually supplied by your audio interface.

You mention a windscreen, but that's not very typical unless you're recording outside. A pop screen is a different matter, and is often used with condenser mics to help combat plosive sounds (Again, you really should read up on this stuff before buying anything).
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

Excellent advice JonInc!
Get a genuine Shure though - Chinese copies abound at 'silly' prices :D [use a reputable dealer and steer clear of ebay]
A pop filter can be picked up for around 10 dollars/pounds/euros and would clip onto a mic stand.
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SSF i3, 8gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite 2i2; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Everyone needs at least 1 SM-57/8.

M
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

Inexpensive dynamic microphone that's as good as a Shure SM58 but a fraction of the price: Behringer XM8500.
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

or if you wanted to go large diaphragm condenser (albeit at the top end of your budget) the Rhode NT1a - comes with a suspension mount and adjustable pop filter.
I have one and can highly recommend it :wink:
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SSF i3, 8gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite 2i2; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

You might want to take a look at the Neat worker Bee condensor mic. I have a King Bee which I love and was able to get for around $130. The worker Bee is under $90. You can look up the reviews and you almost can't go wrong for $90 and if the sound quality is anything like the King Bee, you're basically stealing from the company!
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

mikestark wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:54 am If you need a budget solution there is no one better Shure SM58. Great mic for the price. I am not afraid to repeat that this model of microphone for quality vocal performance for both male and female voices is legendary around the world.

You can say this microphone has long been the standard for most leading manufacturers of microphone products.It is suitable for both live and studio performances. The sound is especially soft and clear.
I disagree. The Behringer XM8500 is every bit as good as the SM58 - some say a bit better - but costs a fraction of the price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj3Us76vK6E&t=289s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSZe6gdESgQ
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

My .02:

First and foremost, the best advice given by far by JonInc is DO THE RESEARCH. Learn about mics, the diff types, the pros and cons, what specs mean, how much they do or don't matter, the various brands, etc. You can get a lot of good info at gearslutz.com too FYI. Search that site.

- Wanting a "windscreen" (you probably mean pop filter) is frankly a poor reason to choose a mic. Most mics don't come with them but they are cheap. Get a mic because it's the best bang for your buck and fits what you're doing best.

- Also as stated by JonInc, it's a good idea to get an audio interface and an XLR mic (basically that means the type of connector it has, vs a USB...almost all mics are XLR). The good news is you can get a quality interface for as little as $40-50.

- You said "small budget" but that's rather vague. About what price range are we talking? You can get a respectable dynamic mic for as little as $50 give or take, a really good one for $100ish. Condensers (LDCs) typically will need at least about $100 or so, often more, but you can get a solid one for about that new.

- What kind of recording are you doing? Rock, pop, folk, rap, punk, Tibetan Blues? :) This matters.

- What kind of voice do you have? A powerful, belt it out voice, or a softer, crooner voice? Something in between? This also matters.

- What kind of setup do you have? If your room isn't treated, you really need to do so. You can do this to at least a reasonable degree without spending much money FYI and it's the FIRST thing you should do before buying any gear.

That all said.....

With all due respect to the others, I do NOT recommend an SM58 or NT1A. The 58 is a great live mic, but for recording, you can do better for the money (I would suggest a Sennheiser 835). And I have not used but heard really good things about the ridiculously cheap Behringer 8500, but would suggest the isK ICDM as the best value overall ($60 and I think still can be had for the promo half off price, which is crazy for a quality mic).

As for condensers (LDCs), the NT1A is notoriously harsh on the high end. I'd look at the AKG 120 ($80), se X1A ($100), and Studio Project B1 ($120) for starters. Of course everyone has their favs. To get much better though, you'll realistically have to spend $200+.