Files missing after computer transfer

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Lumberpilot

Files missing after computer transfer

Post by Lumberpilot »

I had a friend of mine help me transfer all my Mixcraft projects and mixes to my new computer. However, when I open the folder associated with the project, I only see a list of wav audio files. There is no project to open. No Mixcraft 9 icon. The individual files do not play. Is there a way to restore my music are did the transfer obliterate all?
GovernmentMule

Re: Files missing after computer transfer

Post by GovernmentMule »

How did you transfer the files?

From what I remember you should open the project on your original computer and use the "Copy Project Files to " command on the file menu.

This way the project and all the audio and video files associated with the project are copied and goes with it.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Audio and video files are stored separately from project files, so you need to copy both to the new computer. The "Copy Project Files" option mentioned above helps ensure that you grab all the files needed for each project.

Hopefully you still have access to the old computer.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Lumberpilot

Post by Lumberpilot »

Everything got transferred in one operation. I had my friend put all my music on an external hard drive. So I could see the list of all the songs. But, there are elements missing and the wav files are individual tracks that do not play anything. I am not sure what my friend did with the original pc as I thought it was all good to go. Ever since this happened, I have mixed feelings about using computers to record music at all. In fact, I am getting reacquainted with my old 4-track cassette recorder. At least I know a song is on a physical tape I can hold in my hand.

So what I am hearing is I have to hunt down the original pc and go through each song separately (100s) and copy each one in a precise manner. Funny my friend works on computers all the time...