Re-amping

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

ste_p0270

Re-amping

Post by ste_p0270 »

Hi Guys, hope you're all well?

Quick question regarding re-amping using Pro Studio 9 and Helix LT...

No issues recording a wet or dry signal (inputs 1&2 for wet, and 7 for dry). I am however struggling to see where
I can set the dry recording to be an output to go back through the Helix?

Most of the Youtube vids are for Pro Tools and Reaper which clearly show an output option on the mixer panel for each track.
Can't see this for M9PS?

Many thanks on advance.
M-Audio BX5 (pair)
Mixcraft 10.5 PS / EZDrummer3 / Sonicake Matribox 2
Ryzen 5800X / 32GB DDR4 / 1TB NVME / RX6800
cactus-head

Re: Re-amping

Post by cactus-head »

Hi,

If I got my terms correct, re-amping is sending a dry pre-recorded signal to an amplifier and recording the sound of the amped signal with a mic to a new "version" on a new track. You're going to need an audio out physical connection from your audio interface to your Helix or amp.

For example I route Mixcraft audio to 2 XLR ports named an/1 and an/2 . These route to the master bus. That means everything in my project routes through the master bus and is thus "heard" on an/1 and an/2. There's other physical outputs I can use - optical, headphone, usb.

What you'd have to do is route your physical output into your helix/amp. For me, if I want only a single track to route somewhere else and not the Master bus, I would create an Output Bus Track and identify the specifc output on that track. In the Mixcraft mixer, I would then route the guitar track to that output bus:

output bus track adat 1.JPG
output bus track adat 1.JPG (77.44 KiB) Viewed 1230 times

guitar to output bus.JPG
guitar to output bus.JPG (60.66 KiB) Viewed 1224 times

Whatever output that is on my interface, I would plug that into the Helix/amp. Then I could play the project in Mixcraft and only the guitar would come over on this ouput. I could then mic the amp and record that on a separate Mixcraft track. Make sure the Master Bus is only being heard in headphones or mute the other tracks or you'll pick that up as feed back. Since you will be recording on a miked track make sure the Metronome is off.

If you aren't using a mic to re-amp then you want to internally loop-back the guitar dry track + helix onto another audio track. On Playback you can monitor the input of the new track by clicking ARM and cycling through the various inputs to see where the output bus is looping back to. Often there is a specific setting on the audio interface software for looping back, but it might be a default.
ste_p0270

Post by ste_p0270 »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Using the last method allowed me to re-amp via the Helix.. only issue was that the recorded sound was clipping. Need to do a bit more
investigation I think.

Thanks again.
M-Audio BX5 (pair)
zhi

Post by zhi »

Hi
I'm a very beginner to the site. I don't know how to ask my question; I haven't seen any option for sending a message or posting the question.

can any one help me?
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

zhi wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:12 am Hi
I'm a very beginner to the site. I don't know how to ask my question; I haven't seen any option for sending a message or posting the question.

can any one help me?
Hi and welcome :D
Make sure you're logged in (top bar, right.) Then just hit 'New Topic'

new topic.png
new topic.png (86.13 KiB) Viewed 1194 times
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

ste_p0270,

Check the input and output gain on the Helix. Your Helix is operating in a send loop right now and the wet dry mix on the effect unit itself as well as the input and output gain will affect the resulting signal.

The routing would look like:

Dry Guitar Track > Output Bus (OB) > OB to physical port on audio interface (AI) > AI Output > Helix Input > Helix effects chain > Control gain

Helix Output > AI Input > Mixcraft Track Armed with AI input port specifically from Helix + dry; not the entire master out

You may also try reducing the output bus track volume on the mixcraft mixer.
ste_p0270

Post by ste_p0270 »

Thanks for the reply.

I've actually cheated a little here.. Line6 have a 30% off sale at the moment and I managed to snag Helix Native
for £63 GBP.

I can now chop and change the tone in MX9 as much as I want and this also gives me the option to copy patches
between the HLT and HN, and edit the dry wave form if needed.

Thanks again.
M-Audio BX5 (pair)