Delay effect question

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

jmpld

Delay effect question

Post by jmpld »

Hello. I'm trying to do what I thought would be a basic delay effect. I'm recording a guitar. I want all the undelayed (i.e. dry) sound all the way on the right and the delayed sound on the left. And I want to be able to adjust each of the two volume levels independently. The delays that come with MX don't seem to let me do this. So I downloaded a VST delay plug-in called Repeater. It lets me have the dry and delayed sounds on opposite sides like I want, but I can't adjust the two volume levels (L and R) ndependently. Before I spend time downloading and trying other plug-ins I thought I'd check to see if any of you know of one that would do what I want.
Thanks!
Joel.
vizionheiry

Re: Delay effect question

Post by vizionheiry »

jmpld wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:36 pm Hello. I'm trying to do what I thought would be a basic delay effect. I'm recording a guitar.

I want all the undelayed (i.e. dry) sound all the way on the right and the delayed sound on the left. And I want to be able to adjust each of the two volume levels independently.

The delays that come with MX don't seem to let me do this. So I downloaded a VST delay plug-in called Repeater. It lets me have the dry and delayed sounds on opposite sides like I want, but I can't adjust the two volume levels (L and R) ndependently.

Before I spend time downloading and trying other plug-ins I thought I'd check to see if any of you know of one that would do what I want.
Thanks!
Joel.
Hi Joel,

1. Create a Send Track and title it Delay.
2. Add your Delay plugin onto your Delay track.
3. Send your Guitar track to your Delay track.
4. Pan your Guitar Track to the Right.
5. Pan your Delay track all the way to the Left.
del.jpg
del.jpg (79.88 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

The send track scenario is probably the better option, but if you wanted to do it without the send track, using TB MultiFX that comes bundled with Mixcraft, you can also achieve a left right "subject - answer" delay kinda thing. You can start with the Auto Panner preset and mess with the dials from there.

What I tried, which is a little different and It's more of an illusion because of how the delay comes back on its own channel and kinda tricks you into thinking the dry is panned the opposite way using the mixer section. The InPan seems to control the input signal pan and the Rotate controls the output pan basically. You can control the volumes of with OutGain and Wet out. That's the basics and should get you started. Of course you have to add the Amount of delay, feedback, etc.

TB MultiFX dry right wet left.JPG
TB MultiFX dry right wet left.JPG (69.28 KiB) Viewed 1120 times
jmpld

Post by jmpld »

Vizionheiry & Cactus-head,

Thank you both for your useful solutions. I will use the send-track method because I can't get MultiFX to do the complete separation I'm after and it is easy to automate volume changes on the send track. But I am also grateful to be introduced to the MultiFX plugin because I see stuff I will find useful.
Best,
Joel