unable to add synth to previous MIDI file tracks

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

clavguy

Re: unable to add synth to previous MIDI file tracks

Post by clavguy »

Hi Greg,
I picked the Whiter Shade file and dragged and dropped it into Mixcraft and deleted the 3 tracks that I mentioned I don't need. I saw the CC stuff you mentioned. Matter of fact only one track did not have any... the Organ L track did not have any. So I removed all controllers from all tracks and hit <play> and it played okay then. I then put in my Arturia B-3 V2 virtual instrument on the Organ R track and it went silent.
I should mention here that when I click on the notes of the visual simulation on screen of the Hammond Organ or I play notes on my real keyboard that it plays and I hear sounds and if I go into the presets of the Arturia instrument and pick the Whiter Shade preset, it sounds just like I would have expected. But it does NOT play with the file......
outteh

Post by outteh »

I had to set the Organ R track to Midi Channel 1 and it worked.
clavguy

Post by clavguy »

Hi Tom and Greg...
First.. the patient.. Whiter Shade of Pale MIDI file

Tom: You were right.. Opening the MIDI file as a project is a wayyyyyyyyyyyy better way of opening then just dragging and dropping it in on top of Mixcraft

Greg: I saw all that CC data in there that you mentioned in your post... I removed them all in all the tracks. (just a note... can you change the color of the font of the CC data to red please... these 70 year old fart eyes have a hard time differentiating between the black and the blue)

Both Tom and Greg:
Before removing CC stuff, I deleted tracks 2, 6 and 8 not needed as mentioned in a previous post. I did not shift all the tracks up to fill in the blank spaces left from the missing tracks because of the namings inside the tracks themselves. At this point I hit <play> to make sure nothing was broken and everything played as it should.
I then put in my Arturia B-3-2 Hammond Organ Vst in on track 3 (Organ R) and it went silent.

I should mention here that if I click on the notes of the on screen simulation of the Hammond Organ or I play notes on my real keyboard.. I hear the appropriate sounds and I see the notes on the simulation move up and down. And when I select the Whiter Shade preset from within the Vst, I hear what I would expect from that song. Also if I click on the Leslie switch on the simulation, I hear the rotary speaker speed up or slow down. So the Vst looks and sounds like it should but it just does not play with the file... I am going to try the Equinoxe file now with the Superwave VST
clavguy

Post by clavguy »

Tom i missed your previous reply... about setting a track to MIDI channel 1... how do i do that... All my MIDI in comes from my keyboards/controllers (in this case a file I suppose) and my MIDI out goes to my Focusrite USB interface... so how do I specifically set a track to a MIDI channel
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

outteh wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:10 pm I had to set the Organ R track to Midi Channel 1 and it worked.
I downloaded the demo, and otteh's suggestion worked for me.

Right-click on an empty part of the track, then select Lanes > MIDI Channel > 1

Edited to add: oh, ch. 1 is the upper keyboard, ch. 2 is the lower keyboard, and ch. 3 is bass.
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Okay, you can go into settings and change the Keyboard Mode setting to Split, Lower, or Upper, and you won't have to worry about MIDI channels.
outteh

Post by outteh »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:04 pm
outteh wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:10 pm I had to set the Organ R track to Midi Channel 1 and it worked.
I downloaded the demo, and otteh's suggestion worked for me.

Right-click on an empty part of the track, then select Lanes > MIDI Channel > 1

Edited to add: oh, ch. 1 is the upper keyboard, ch. 2 is the lower keyboard, and ch. 3 is bass.
Greg, did you try the tempo change while playing the file right after loading it? Did the volume increase?
outteh

Post by outteh »

As an add on, the Whiter Shade of Pale rendition is pretty good. I played it with the VL 122 vst and the B3 vst. :D
clavguy

Post by clavguy »

I will try all that...
Yesssssss that worked... but why does everything get louder when I hit <stop> and <play> again

But moving on... why can't I get my Superwave Equinoxe VST to work on MuseScore files?
outteh

Post by outteh »

clavguy wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:23 pm I will try all that...
Yesssssss that worked... but why does everything get louder when I hit <stop> and <play> again

But moving on... why can't I get my Superwave Equinoxe VST to work on MuseScore files?
I asked Greg to check the volume increase when doing a tempo change, I think stop and play effect the tempo also. Are you working with the file that you loaded as a new project and not import to a track? I don’t have your vst so I can’t do much more on experimenting. :D
outteh

Post by outteh »

clavguy wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:23 pm I will try all that...

On the MuseScore file, set a track to a standard instrument, i.e. Strings to Acoustica strings instrument. Then play the track and switch the instrument to the Equinoxe in real time while playng. It will then play, don't know why maybe Greg can get some folks to look at it. I downloaded the trail version 64 bit version 1.1. :D
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

All the notes on that Organ R track are set to MIDI channel 9. If you select all the notes, then right-click on one, select Note Properties and change the MIDI channel to 1, it will work.

Greg
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Now listening to that track with the Theramin preset.
outteh

Post by outteh »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:59 pm Hi,

All the notes on that Organ R track are set to MIDI channel 9. If you select all the notes, then right-click on one, select Note Properties and change the MIDI channel to 1, it will work.

Greg
Greg,
This midi channel thing brings up another question. Why doesn’t the All-Midi setting accepts all channels instead of needing to switch the track setting to a specific channel? :!: :?:
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Because the MIDI is going straight from the track into the virtual instrument, I'm thinking.