Latency trouble with WavRT

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

gaucho830

Latency trouble with WavRT

Post by gaucho830 »

I'm running Mixcraft 4.2 Build 104 under Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 (32 bit) with a 1.83 GHz processor and 2 GB RAM. I have a SigmaTel sound card (driver: SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC, version 6.10.0.5614, dated Sept. 13, 2007, status: "Working properly").

In Mixcraft's file preferences, when I check "WaveRT" as my sound-device option (which appears to be my best option since it shows the lowest latency figure). the following appears:

Sample rate: 48000
Latency: 20 mils (I've tried to lower this, but it always reverts to this figure)

Opening the mixer merely opens Windows Volume Mixer, so I can't make any other changes.

OK, now for the problem: I get unacceptable (i.e., clearly audible) latency with these settings (for example, just using the PC's built-in microphone), but I haven't been able to improve them at all, and I get the same results using M-AUDIO FastTrack USB. Also, when I record subsequent tracks, track 1 (my drum track, i.e., the track that is playing back) produces popping sounds and drops out here and there. Also, if I try recording a third track, that track is even worse in terms of latency than the second one.

One more thing: I've recorded virtual tracks using my synthesizer and a MIDI interface and have _not_ experienced the latency problem. I also recorded with n-track's demo version and have _not_ had this problem.

Suggestions (aside from limiting myself to MIDI? :wink:)

Thanks!
ro1000

Post by ro1000 »

I'm not sure why this is not working correctly. My laptop, a Compaq with 2.0 Ghz Processing speed and 2 Gigs or RAM, works absolutly fine with several midi tracks and audio, even if put effects on the tracks. However, there's one thing I might think is a problem. Try raising and lowering the Sample Rate. Usually whenver the sample rate is low, there's no latency, but there's pops and crackles and it sounds bad. When it's higher, it sounds great, but there's alot of latency. (So I have no idea why you're getting BOTH :shock: ) Anyway, hope that helps.
gaucho830

Adjusting the sample rate

Post by gaucho830 »

Thanks for the suggestion, but WaveRT does not allow me to adjust the sample rate; it's stuck on 48,000.
ro1000

Post by ro1000 »

How many tracks are you running at the same time? Also, are you using any effects on any of the tracks?
gaucho830

number of concurrent tracks

Post by gaucho830 »

The problem happens even if I record only two acoustic-guitar tracks without effects.
ro1000

Post by ro1000 »

Strange...your computer definately has enough processing speed to do two tracks. Does the same latency happen if you only use the loops that come with MC? Or is it any different? If it's still the same, I have no idea. Ask Acoustica Eric or Greg, they should have some more to say.
gaucho830

No latency with Mixcraft loops

Post by gaucho830 »

No, the latency problem does not occur if I only use Mixcraft loops.

Thanks!
ro1000

Post by ro1000 »

That changes things a little. When you're playing the tracks, are any tracks armed? If so, did you click "Monitor Incoming Audio?" Try unclicking that if you did. If you didn't, the the problem is most likely not MC but with your M-Audio FastTrack. Try updating all the drivers and running it again.
gaucho830

Disarming tracks

Post by gaucho830 »

No, I disarm the tracks before playing them back. Also, I have this problem even when I use a simple computer microphone running directly into the PC (i.e., without FastTrack). Besides that, I've already updated all my drivers.
D-Jay

recording & monitoring audio

Post by D-Jay »

i think this is the same problem i've been having. when recording audio it was skipping and not recording smoothly. i'm using waveRT rate 44100 and latency 60. this makes the track record smoothly with no delay. when monitor incoming audio is on it sounds like its skipping, but records smoothly. i can't figre out how to fix that, so i figured out a different way to monitor audio. open mixcraft in 2 windows, arm your track for recording without monitoring on your main project, and in the second mixcraft window set a track for monitoring incoming audio only. this way you can monitor and record smoothly.

if anybody knows a way to fix it to use only 1 mixcraft window please let me know.