Sort tracks by names alphabetically?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

creativeforge

Sort tracks by names alphabetically?

Post by creativeforge »

I'd like to SORT all my TRACKS in alphabetical order with a simple click, maybe a keyboard shortcut. Doing a search about this opn the forum only yields results about plugins, not tracks.

After working on a song for weeks, and naming or renaming tracks (or they are named automatically depending on the virtual library I'm using) sometimes I need to track down one particular track among 50 and I remember the name better than its location, since I move things around over a period of time.

If I could just sort them all alphabetically, it would be speeding my workflow. I could use prefixes too and make easier the clustering of similar tracks (pads, strings, percussion, etc).

Is it possible? (drumroll) :)

Thanks!
Acoustica Greg

Re: Sort tracks by names alphabetically?

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

No, but thanks for the suggestion!

Right now, you can just drag the tracks up and down until they are in alphabetical order.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
creativeforge

Post by creativeforge »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:04 pm Hi,
No, but thanks for the suggestion!
Right now, you can just drag the tracks up and down until they are in alphabetical order.
Greg
Yes, I could do that I guess. But thanks for taking note of the suggestion. :)
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

If the sort is implemented, make sure it doesn't sort tracks out of a submix.
Barth

Post by Barth »

cactus-head wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:54 pm If the sort is implemented, make sure it doesn't sort tracks out of a submix.
I would add that if this sort is implemented, make also sure it doesn't sort tracks by names by default, only as a option.
creativeforge

Post by creativeforge »

Absolutely has to be an option, not default, unless we set it to be so in general for ourselves.
Htos_Drol

Post by Htos_Drol »

Has this functionality been added to Mixcraft 10?

I compose a project in one instance of Mixcraft 10, and then export stems/ multitracks to another instance of Mixcraft that I have set up specifically for mixing. I wish I could automatically order the tracks by the track title so they would appear in their original order. Reordering manually takes a ton of time.
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Htos_Drol wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:32 pm Has this functionality been added to Mixcraft 10?

I compose a project in one instance of Mixcraft 10, and then export stems/ multitracks to another instance of Mixcraft that I have set up specifically for mixing. I wish I could automatically order the tracks by the track title so they would appear in their original order. Reordering manually takes a ton of time.
Hi,

For your scenario, there is a way that's a little faster than manually sorting them. It works in MC 9 or 10. Once you have all of your tracks named, you mix them down to stems using the {n} parameter only for name. Once the stems are stored, you drag them back to a new project. Make sure you save your original project first before doing this mixdown. It seems to crash if the project isn't saved first. Here are the steps. In the screenshot, my track names are not in any kind of order:

MC 10 track name not alphabetical.JPG
MC 10 track name not alphabetical.JPG (84.94 KiB) Viewed 13916 times

Now mix them down to stems using only the name:

MC 10 track name only mix to stems.JPG
MC 10 track name only mix to stems.JPG (81.48 KiB) Viewed 13916 times

In general, Windows sorts files in a directory in Name order. Open the directory using windows file explorer where the stems are saved and change the sorting to REVERSE ORDER by clicking on name. My directory with my stems would look like this:

MC 10 Track name directory reverse order.JPG
MC 10 Track name directory reverse order.JPG (21.59 KiB) Viewed 13916 times

Start a new project in mixcraft (you could use the old one if you want to double the files).

Go back to the file directory that is still open, press CTRL + A to select all of the files. Now this part is very important: click and drag all of the files by SELECTING THE TOP FILE IN THE DIRECTORY to the new Mixcraft project. For my example that would mean I am clicking and dragging from xylophone. If you do not drag from the top file, the files will be out of order in Mixcraft.

Because it is written, it seems like a lot of steps, but it's not. It takes a few seconds - not including the time it takes to export the stems.

If you do everything right, the tracks in your new project will be in alphabetical order.

MC 10 track names sorted.JPG
MC 10 track names sorted.JPG (84.83 KiB) Viewed 13914 times
Htos_Drol

Post by Htos_Drol »

Apologies for the delayed response and MANY THANKS for the great idea!

This saves me tons of time!!!

Again, many thanks!!!!