Mixdown Warning - "A Track Doesn't Have An Instrument!"

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

DanTheSongwriter

Mixdown Warning - "A Track Doesn't Have An Instrument!"

Post by DanTheSongwriter »

I opened up a file, adjusted some LCR panning, and tried to mixdown to an .mp3 but received this notice - "You are trying to render or burn a track that doesn't have an instrument assigned to it. This will result in silence for the tracks without instruments."

I have never seen this and I don't think I changed anything other than the panning of different tracks. Suggestions?

Thanks
Acoustica Greg

Re: Mixdown Warning - "A Track Doesn't Have An Instrument!"

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Check and make sure that all the virtual instrument tracks have a virtual instrument selected on them. Maybe solo virtual instrument tracks to see if they are indeed producing audio right now. Maybe delete any virtual instrument tracks you aren't using. It's possible that the project you loaded uses a plugin that you don't have installed right now, for example.

Also, this is a normal thing if you have virtual instrument tracks set to send MIDI to an external device. You'll always get this error, because Mixcraft has no idea what kind of audio an external device would create for a track.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
DanTheSongwriter

Post by DanTheSongwriter »

My audio interface bit the dust last week and I'm waiting for a new one. Based on your second paragraph I'll wait until it arrives then re-visit.

Also wondering how to save the new LCR panning file with a different name? I read somewhere in a different thread that 'Save As...' didn't really do anything. Is the best method Copy Files to Folder first, then open that up in a new project? Sorry, this is proably way overthinking it...
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If you've got a track that's set to send to an external MIDI device instead of having a virtual instrument on it, you'll always get that error when you mix down, and you can just ignore it - just realize that nothing from that track will be mixed down (because any audio associated with that track would be emanating from the external MIDI device, not where Mixcraft could find it).

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101