Does MixCraft allow MIDI OFFSET adjustments?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

squeakie

Does MixCraft allow MIDI OFFSET adjustments?

Post by squeakie »

Is there a MIDI OFFSET adjustment in MixCraft? I’d like to finely tune my controllers midi input for MixCraft.., I noticed on the piano roll my recorded notes are a bit more forward of the clock than I’d like. It’s not my timing either. For those who’ve never adjusted MIDI OFFSET.., some controllers kinda need it. My M-Audio Hammer-88 needed a pretty large offset in Studio One 5. So much that it ended up being the main reason the quantizing struggled. When I dialed in a proper offset setting, recorded midi data greatly improved in regards to its position on the piano roll.

Sqk
Yamaha MOXF6, Roland Juno-Di, Casio MZX500, Roland RS70, M-Audio Venom, M-Audio Hammer88, Casio PX330, M-Audio Keystation 49 MK3, Yamaha DGX-670 digital piano, Behringer Studio Monitors, MixCraft 9 Pro, Studio One 5, Cakewalk, Zenbeats,
Acoustica Greg

Re: Does MixCraft allow MIDI OFFSET adjustments?

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

No, there's not a MIDI offset option. What are your sound device settings? How's your general latency?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

My latency is actually fine…, I was just checking to see if MC had a “Midi Offset” adjustment. When just playing live with any VST.., the latency really doesn’t seem to be an issue. However, when recording, I noticed the midi data (even if my timing was great) was always falling slightly ahead of the clock. I had the same problem in Studio One 5, but it was significantly worse. Playing live was ok, but midi data input via recording was way too far ahead of the clock. Midi Offset fixed the issue. It’s not so far off that it messes up quantizing in MC like it did in Studio One. It really depends on the controller too. I have several I use, and each one needs to have the midi offset adjusted in Studio One.

Thx!
Yamaha MOXF6, Roland Juno-Di, Casio MZX500, Roland RS70, M-Audio Venom, M-Audio Hammer88, Casio PX330, M-Audio Keystation 49 MK3, Yamaha DGX-670 digital piano, Behringer Studio Monitors, MixCraft 9 Pro, Studio One 5, Cakewalk, Zenbeats,
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

ASIO mode?
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

Using WaveRT.

Sqk
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

See if it happens in ASIO mode.

Greg
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

just chiming in here...

On the MIDI settings try Activating or Deactivating High Precision MIDI Timing.

MC MIDI settings.JPG
MC MIDI settings.JPG (84.21 KiB) Viewed 1106 times
Last edited by cactus-head on Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

Thx.., I’ll give that a try. My midi controllers really aren’t that old. My Hammer 88 and KeyStation MK3 aren’t considered vintage yet.

Sqk
Piscis

Post by Piscis »

I would absolutely love it if Acoustica would consider adding MIDI offset to MixCraft. MixCraft continues to get better and better with every iteration, but this is one of the biggest remaining headaches for me.

A lot (most, really) of high-end sample libraries these days have delays in the samples themselves (strings are particularly guilty of this) to include pick-up noises leading up to the note start, and the "big" DAWs (Cubase, Logic, ProTools, etc.) account for this by giving each track an offset value that essentially tells the sequencer to start notes X milliseconds or samples earlier (negative) or later (positive) than they otherwise appear on the timeline in relation to the other tracks.

There are some ungraceful ways to work around this, like shifting clips earlier along demi-measure increments (easy to work with, but imprecise), or shifting notes themselves earlier (precise, but absolutely hideous to work with), or bouncing to audio and shifting that (easy and precise, but a bloated time sink), but none of them make for as clean of an experience as it could be.

The best solution I've found for the time being is a clever Voxengo plugin that cheats the system by advertising fake latency to the DAW, then shorting that latency by the inverse of a specified amount in order to make the track play that much ahead of others. For anyone else struggling with this, you can find that (free!) plugin here: https://www.voxengo.com/product/latencydelay/

But, yes, I would be thrilled if MixCraft would take a page from its peers and offer a native way to handle the offset!