VST3 not responding to controller

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

timesignature2018

VST3 not responding to controller

Post by timesignature2018 »

I've been having trouble running the EastWest VST3 plugin, Opus, on Mixcraft and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I've been able to run Opus on other DAWs without any problems; however, it seems to work only when it wants to on Mixcraft. When it's first loaded, it works fine. However, if I attempt to load a second instance of Opus on a different track, the first one stops responding to input from MIDI controllers. Sounds play by pressing the virtual keyboard that's built into the plugin itself, so the plugin is working correctly, it's just no longer receiving input from the controller. So far the only thing that works is to reload a completely new instance of the plugin. Also, even if there's only one instance of the plugin in a project, whenever I close and reopen the project, same thing--plugin does not respond to the MIDI controller. Again, a completely fresh instance has to be loaded.

Technically Mixcraft isn't one of the supported DAWs for this plugin, but I've been able to run EastWest Play on Mixcraft without issue. I feel like there must be something I can go to and reset whenever this happens, but I'm not sure what. Any ideas?
Drdish007

Re: VST3 not responding to controller

Post by Drdish007 »

Hi,
I use the East West Symphony Gold with Mixcraft without any issues. I was working on a piece recently where I had different tracks loaded with different Play instruments. I noticed that I would have to select a track to have it work with my keyboard controller. The other instrument tracks worked fine when selected. I would record one instrument then unarmed that track, select another instrument track to play then record that instrument. I had no issues. I didn't have to play two different instruments at the same time.

Each time I loaded an instrument to its track it played fine. I could load other tracks with different instruments without problems. Just as mentioned above, a track had to be selected to be able to play that instrument.
The recorded instruments would play back fine while I played a new instrument.

Hope this helps.
- Myran
Mixcraft 10.5Pro596, Win. 10 64Bit, Intel i5 @ 3.20GHz, ssd 250GB(os),1TB hdd(library audio),1TB hdd (recorded audio),Nvidia GeForce1050i video,16GB RAM,Focusrite 18I20 3rd gen usb,Motu 5 ch.midi interface, D5,U220,Keystation88,B4000+,Leslie,Rhodes73mk1
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Hi,

If it's anything like EWQL Symphonic Choirs, then you have to set each track that has an instance of the plugin to MIDI Channel 1. The plugin uses the other MIDI channels internally to build and play the "partials" that make up the sound. The transmission from the controller should also only be on MIDI channel 1. On the Mixcraft tracks, make sure the input isn't set for all Channels.

Also, Mixcraft only accepts input on one track at a time unless you are in recording mode.
Drdish007

Post by Drdish007 »

Hi again,
My MIDI was set to Omni in the Play software. I could set it to a different channel, and set my keyboard.controller to the same channel and it works.fine. But as I said before, the track with my virtual instrument that I want to control has to be selected before I can control it. I can have multiple instrument tracks setup, and only the track selected will be controlled. If I have midi recorded on a track, it will play back fine, even when I control another virtual instrument track.

- Myran
Mixcraft 10.5Pro596, Win. 10 64Bit, Intel i5 @ 3.20GHz, ssd 250GB(os),1TB hdd(library audio),1TB hdd (recorded audio),Nvidia GeForce1050i video,16GB RAM,Focusrite 18I20 3rd gen usb,Motu 5 ch.midi interface, D5,U220,Keystation88,B4000+,Leslie,Rhodes73mk1
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

I had the same issue with using EastWest libaries. When I reloaded a project like you say, it was a very hit and miss affair as to which of the library tracks decided to sound. So I would constantly have to reload all the tracks again. I thought it was just a memory issue but I'll check my MIDI settings also. I'm in the process of migrating to my new PC, which has taken three days so far so hopefully things will be a lot more smoother going forward.
i7-10700K 8Core @3.80 GHz, 128GB- 5TB NVMe+3TB SSD (Int) 4TB SSD (Ext)- Samsung 24"x3 Mon- PreSonus Studio 1810c+Eris E5 XT+Atom SQ- Yamaha Montage 7- AKG D5- Win 11 Pro- MX10 Pro- EastWest- Roland Cloud- KORG 4- Spitfire Audio- Heavyocity- 8Dio- NI
Drdish007

Post by Drdish007 »

Hi again,
When I was working on my latest piece, I had exited and started Mixcraft many times without any issues. I would just select any of my EWQL tracks and they would play fine from my keyboard controller. When loading I could see the EWQL instruments being loaded after Mixcraft loaded.

I use a 1TB HDD just for my EWQL instrument samples, and I record to a second 1TB HDD. See my computer info at the bottom.

I use a 5 input MIDI interface which I have 3 keyboard.controllers connected. I can play on any of the keyboards without problems. I do have the 3 MIDI inputs selected, so.they are active to control the virtual instruments. I have been using the " omni " setting for the MIDI channel selection in my EWQL instruments. If I set an instrument to a channel other than omni, I would have to set my keyboard.controller to that channel. I find using the omni selection just quicker to setup, so I can use any of my keyboards. I use the MIDI outputs to.control my hardware synths.

- Myran