How To? Record a vst synth performance

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Rahodees

How To? Record a vst synth performance

Post by Rahodees »

I hope this is the right subforum for basic how to's. I am running up against probably a really silly newbie problem.

I created a virtual instrument track.

I selected a synth called "Surrealistic MG1" or something like that. (The one that came with the recent humble bundle)

I selected midi typing.

I armed the track to record.

I hit record.

I played some notes.

I stopped the recording.

And.... nothing. It seems to not realize I played any notes.

This was contrary to my expectations that it would work just like when I selected drum kit yesterday and typed in a drum track loop.

I can use the piano roll to enter notes, but I'm using the midi typing interface's mod wheel and even if I knew how to impement that on the piano roll, it really seems like the thing that is best "performed" so to speak rather than entered painstakingly one bit at a time.
cactus-head

Re: How To? Record a vst synth performance

Post by cactus-head »

Hi,

If you tried to use your mouse to play keys, that will not record.

You also cannot use the virtual keyboard on the VST itself. You have to load the VST instrument, then press CTRL+ALT+K that will open the MIxcraft musical typing keyboard. You can then record by entering recording mode for the track and pressing the appropriate keys on your computer keyboard.
Acoustica Greg

Re: How To? Record a vst synth performance

Post by Acoustica Greg »

And if you have a MIDI track that you want to convert into audio, you can right-click to the left of the track and select "Mix to New Audio Track."
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101