Kontakt issues when moving to new computer

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

BillW

Kontakt issues when moving to new computer

Post by BillW »

I've installed Mixcraft and related projects to a new computer.

In the projects where I use Kontakt (Chris Hein horns in particular) - when I open the project I get this message:

The state of some Kontakt instances cannot be recalled correctly.

Please open any Kontakt instance to resolve the problem

So I go to EACH instrument that uses Kontakt and I click on the "keyboard" and icon and it's set to Kontakt VST3; when I click on "show" it gives a "content missing" dialog box. I've tried to use that to resolve the problem but nothing I do seems to work,, But this does:
Click on "Ignore for now" - then click "locate" under the library content not found message. I then hit Search Filesytem and That resolves the issues. It finds Chris Hein Horns (the only Kontakt VST I have).

Everything is Ok. I save the project.

But when I open it - the very same thing happens and I have to do it again. I suspect the issue is where I hit "ignore for now". That is, it only fixed it then but not permanently.

Does anyone have any idea what I should do instead?
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
BillW

Re: Kontakt issues when moving to new computer

Post by BillW »

I think I found an answer to this; not perfect but at least what I've done stays persistent after saving the project.

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
BillW

Post by BillW »

One last post on this - unfortunately while it worked fine after saving and reopening, it now crashed Mixcraft each time I try to open it again. Actually, it's now stuck at 95% opening and won't finish.

Obviously I have no idea what the issue is (likely a combination of Kontakt and I guess still not knowing the "right" way to move files.

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to debug this and I realize there is no way anyone here can help. Very frustrating and it's not the first time I've had such frustrations. Seriously considering if an alternative to Mixcraft might actually be worth the money. Time is money too.

Long time user but not a frequent user given my two jobs. I want to jump back in and it's frustrating that it might take hours just to get back to where I was.

TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

Hi Bill

Greg recently helped us with a VST3 issue on the new EZDrummer 3. He invited us to try the latest beta verion (470) and it solved the problems, and more besides.

If you haven't already, try downloading v470 from here https://acoustica.com/mixcraft/support/beta
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Ausus Razen 5 12 core 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
BillW

Post by BillW »

Appreciate the response; worth a try - but when I try to install, it asks for my registration code; I enter it (I have Pro Studio) and it tells me it's for the wrong product and won't let me proceed.

The site says just install on top of pro studios, but apparently I can't.

Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

As was mentioned in your other post, just install it as a trial. If you're registered, you'll still be registered.

This update helps with all sorts of VST3 problems, but it won't fix everything. If problems persist, sending in your Mixcraft log file would help.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
BillW

Post by BillW »

Just to be sure before I do something wrong -
I need to install the trial version of the Non-pro Studio version, but somehow I'll still have the pro studio version but with that which this build fixes?

Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

That's correct. Just install into the same folder you're using now for pro studio.

Greg
BillW

Post by BillW »

OK - install worked fine and I'm on MX 9, Pro Studio, build 470.

Unfortunately that did not solve my particular issue. I suspect strongly it's a Kontakt issue - that I did something wrong. I have the player, I installed Chris Hein Horns library the way Chris himself told me; I CAN get to it by making modifications - but when I save that, and reopen the project, I'm back to having to tell it where the sound files are.

I've tried a couple different ways - one of them rendered the project "corrupted" and I didn't follow good practice and write down the steps I followed each time.

I don't' blame Mixcraft - it's just disappointing that commonly used third part applications / tools can cause so much trouble. Again, not the fault of Mixcraft, but I can't believe I'm the only one who has ever upgraded to a better machine and had Kontakt and sound files that use it.

MAYBE consider a sticky thread "Upgrading to a new machine? Read this first". nd let the community post suggestions to it.

BillW

Post by BillW »

Last update -
It is - as suspected - Kontakt.

I forgot that Native Instruments has an app called Native Access that manages the related software. I realized it by uninstalling Kontakt Player and reinstalling; they said to go into that app to activate it; in so doing I saw that Chris Hein Horns was not activated on that machine; a step I didn't remember needed to be done. Having done that, Chris Hein Horns now shows up when I choose the Kontakt VST in Mixcraft

That fixed one of my projects (though I have to say it's VERY quirky when there are multiple instances of Kontakt; that is, when it's chosen for each of several tracks. And that quirkiness is the reason I suspect one of my projects got corrupted.

II do have a backup of that project on my old computer that I have not abandoned yet so I could hook it up again and try it over.

Anyway - Kontakt is the problem.

Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Thank you for taking the time to come back and post the solution you found.