New Computer for Mixcraft

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

jddrock

New Computer for Mixcraft

Post by jddrock »

Hello all,

I am looking to buy a new computer specifically for music production. I was using an Asus Republic of Gamers laptop previously, buts it’s several years old now, seems to be bogging down, and is cosmetically falling apart. Buying another laptop would be ideal, but I’ve been looking at desktops since it seems you can get more power that’s easier on the budget. I’m looking to spend no more than $800.

My projects can be pretty intensive. I use a LOT of VST’s(i.e. Kontact) and plug-ins. Often there can be 6 or more plugins on a lead vocal alone.

I came across this desktop today(linked below) and wondered if anyone had any thoughts on it? My biggest concern would be it’s processor.

Also, is single-core performance more important than multi-core performance for Mixcraft?

Any thoughts, experience, or advice would be appreciated!

https://pcserverandparts.com/advanced-m ... gJ0f_D_BwE

Blessings,
Jeremy
BillW

Re: New Computer for Mixcraft

Post by BillW »

Switching your projects can be a Major PITA. Third party plugins need to be reinstalled properly else you'll spend hours trying to get things to work right. Just a warning.
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

BillW wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 12:27 pm Switching your projects can be a Major PITA. Third party plugins need to be reinstalled properly else you'll spend hours trying to get things to work right.
I switched PC's in a year ago, had no issues moving entire MC folder onto new system. Just copy to external drive, usb/mem card etc and move it to where you want. You must have had your files not so organized.

OP, I'd definitely try to save more for a better processor, it all starts there.

M
BillW

Post by BillW »

The tracks and the effects I set copied perfectly. It turns out my issues were in setting up certain 3rd party plugins
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.