Can my monitor for my input device be soft, but it captures it louder?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

podonnell

Can my monitor for my input device be soft, but it captures it louder?

Post by podonnell »

Specifically, I am trying to record my keyboard coming through a Scarlett Focusrite, and I have to put the keyboard or gain control quite high to get it to capture at a decent level in Mixcraft.

Is there any way to make the monitoring of this not as loud when I'm recording it? Or should I record soft and boost it after? Not sure what the common methods for this are as this is my first time recording in this way. I could also completely cut out the audio I am hearing by turning off my direct monitor, but I need to hear my notes as I play them -- just would like them a bit softer.
Drdish007

Re: Can my monitor for my input device be soft, but it captures it louder?

Post by Drdish007 »

Hi,
I record my hardware synths through my Scarlett 18i20 similar to.how.you say you are. You will want to adjust the level.of your synth to give you a good.recording level on your input or Mixcraft meters. You should have a headphone output you can use to monitor you playing. You can adjust the headphone output level to what you like. My Scarlett has a volume control for the monitor output so I can adjust that when using my monitor speakers. If you are using an external monitor amplifier or powered monitor speakers, they should have volume controls you can use to adjust the monitor volume.

The reason you would want to.adjust the input level first is to keep noise down. If you instrument level.is recorded.too low and you turn up.the recorded.level you can.also boost any nose in that recorded sound.

Hope this helps.
- Myran
Mixcraft 10.5Pro596, Win. 10 64Bit, Intel i5 @ 3.20GHz, ssd 250GB(os),1TB hdd(library audio),1TB hdd (recorded audio),Nvidia GeForce1050i video,16GB RAM,Focusrite 18I20 3rd gen usb,Motu 5 ch.midi interface, D5,U220,Keystation88,B4000+,Leslie,Rhodes73mk1
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Yeah, there should absolutely be a way to control input level and monitor level independently.
Specifics would depend on your particular rig, interface, etc.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
hpharley90

Post by hpharley90 »

output buss i think is what you want. You have more control. I have focusrite 2i2 had same problem with guitar
. Very loud through monitors but controllable.
Some one here suggested it too me. I use this and works.
outteh wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:06 am Use output buss tracks. Look in the user manual pg. 384. :D
10.5 Pro studio build 596
Dell XPS i7-10700 2.9Ghz
48 GB RAM
Windows 10