Having trouble recording automation with my MPD218

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Falconhoof

Having trouble recording automation with my MPD218

Post by Falconhoof »

Hello, hopefully someone can help.

I'm trying to add automation to synth parameters using the controller lanes and can get it to work fine with the "Record all effects and instrument automation" option.

It adds an automation lane for everything I tweak - great!

My issue is I use my MPD218 controller (drum pads and 6 knobs) to control parameters on a synth but I can't get these to control the midi learn automation lanes. I use Midi learn on the synth to map the MPD knobs to different things but when I use these to adjust while recording automation nothing happens but if I move the same thing with my mouse it records fine.

Is there a way to get this working in Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio?

Thanks,
Doug
Acoustica Greg

Re: Having trouble recording automation with my MPD218

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Did you arm the automation lane?

Greg

Arm automation lane.
Arm automation lane.
armautomationlanemx9.png (7.58 KiB) Viewed 507 times
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Falconhoof

Post by Falconhoof »

Hi Greg,

Yeah - automation lane is armed and it works fine by if I move things on a synth with mouse just not when I move things with controller.

Thanks,
Doug
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

And you're arming it for specific parameters, as shown in this video? https://acoustica.com/mixcraft/videos/m ... automation

Greg
Falconhoof

Post by Falconhoof »

Yep, it doesn't matter what parameter I set it to - it will only record automation when I move things with the mouse. I can adjust the parameter with my controller while it's recording but the automation doesn't record these movements even though it is changing on the synth.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Can you map those same controls to anything else in Mixcraft, like a fader or something? Does the MIDI In indicator in Mixcraft light up when you move those controls?

Greg
Falconhoof

Post by Falconhoof »

Hi Greg,

Yes, I can use Mixcraft MIDI learn to map the controller knobs to sliders on the mixer etc. and they do light up the MIDI In light.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ePZNe1 ... p=drivesdk

The above video shows what I'm doing. You can see the automation lane reacts when I use mouse but not when I use the controller.

Thanks,
Doug
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I don't have access to that linked file. You could set it so that anybody can view it.

Greg
Falconhoof

Post by Falconhoof »

Sorry! Should be unrestricted now
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Hi,

First thing to note: once you've recorded automation, the line won't change if you ARE NOT recording. Once you hit record, the automation will respond again to changes you make in real time. This may actually be what has happened to you. If there was a point or is a point on the automation line, it will not move if not recording. Try Right-Clicking on the automation lane and choose Clear (DO NOT CHOOSE Clear All Automation). Try moving your dial. If that didn't work try hitting record and see if the automation line responds to your changes.

2nd: If the above doesn't fit then: This is all guesswork but maybe try adding a MIDI controller. Right now, the plugin is receiving the CC input from the hardware directly, but if you "bridge" that with a MIDI controller on the plugin, it may transmit freely to the main DAW. The difference being where the CC is received. First Clear the MIDI Learn on the Plugin if that's how you mapped the CC. Next click the plus at the top of the plugin next to the preset name text box. Choose Add MIDI Controller, Choose the parameter on the plugin to control from the drop down, click learn, spin the dial on your MIDI controller. Now try turning the dial - does the automation line go up and down? (you might have to do this in conjunction with clearing the automation line)