Sustains getting messed up or deleted when moving notes and merging clips

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, Acoustica Greg

FluMusic

Sustains getting messed up or deleted when moving notes and merging clips

Post by FluMusic » Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:54 am

I've been working with this issue for a long while now, where you have a midi recording using the sustain pedal, and as soon as you highlight notes in the piano roll and drag them around (usually prior to the original recording mark), the sustain will void and all the notes will be staccato.

Sometimes when merging clips this happens also, and other times it will happen randomly it seems on clips in certain sections. It can really break a recording, as it's never perfect sounding again when I need to manually extend each note in the piano roll so each note sustains.

Is there a workaround to any of this? I also notice it now when I copy/paste a section of recorded notes from one clip into a blank, empty clip. The sustains will just not be there. It's sort of crucial having those sustains carry over and be with the original notes as they were intended.

Anyone else experience this issue and has anyone figured a way to manage it better?

cactus-head

Re: Sustains getting messed up or deleted when moving notes and merging clips

Post by cactus-head » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:59 am

Unfortunately, controllers (CC) are independent of notes and do not move with them. They move with the clip. So when you merge or overlap two clips, the positions of the controller in those clips remain. So if you had a sustain pedal on or off (127 or 0 value for CC 64) and merged it with a new clip, that value is carried over until another value is set for that CC. If you drag notes around within a clip, the CCs stay where they were even though the notes are moving.

It would be great if everything could be selected and moved left or right within a clip.

FluMusic

Post by FluMusic » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:00 am

oh man, thanks for explaining. it's been a such a bugger to work with. my go to strategy now is to duplicate a track so that overlapping clips of the same instrument are never in the way of a clip on the original track. just curious...do you happen to know if there is a daw that has figured this out and doesn't mess with the sustains at all? i love mixcraft i'm not looking to leave but im also continually curious of what else is out there, as i have tried nothing but mixcraft and fl studio.

cactus-head

Post by cactus-head » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:24 pm

Off the top of my head I think it works in Cakewalk. I can't recall others as i haven't used them in a while and I generally haven't done a lot of moving individual MIDI notes around. I would imagine it's a common thing to be able to copy and move everything.

In my mind it makes sense that the controllers are not linked to note events. You could have a track that is all controls without any notes - modulation, pitchbend, program changes - whatever, and route that to a series of other tracks that have different instruments on each and effectively apply these changes as a sort of automation to control all of those tracks at once.

However, it really would be nice to select everything on a clip and be able to move it or copy it to whereever you want and it's all intact - sliding it left or right within a clip etc.