MIDI CC parameter (0) not being recorded

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

ChasD

MIDI CC parameter (0) not being recorded

Post by ChasD »

I've been having an issue when recording USB MIDI whereby Mixcraft records all the MIDI information being sent from a keyboard (a Casiotone CT-S1000V) EXCEPT the very first parameter. The parameter that it isn't recording is - (0) Bank Select (MSB). This is problematic because if I play this recorded MIDI and send it back out to the CT-S1000V, it plays all the notes and all the other control changes but it won't select the correct Tone. This is because to select a Tone requires Program Change, Bank Select MSB and Bank Select LSB data. If you look at the picture below you can see all the parameters highlighted in blue that have recorded information, and you can see that Mixcraft has indeed recorded Program Change and Bank LSB messages (among others), but NOT Bank MSB. The blue "waveform" that you can see at the bottom of the page is the CC data recorded for when I manually swept the filter cut-off knob on the keyboard.

I can go in and manually draw in the Bank MSB value wherever I've made a Tone change, and then when I send the track back out to the S1000V it will now select the correct Tones on playback.

I've also checked that it's not the keyboard, cable or USB driver that is at fault by recording the exact same set up into REAPER. Reaper has absolutely no problem with recording all the program changes made and selects the correct Tone on playback, and checking the MIDI information using the ReaControlMIDI plugin, it confirms that (0) Bank Select (MSB) is indeed being recorded correctly.

Does anyone know why Mixcraft is recording all the MIDI CC parameters being sent to it EXCEPT the very first, (0) Bank Select (MSB)?

Mixcraft Track 03 MIDI CC No Bank MSB.png
Mixcraft Track 03 MIDI CC No Bank MSB.png (233.59 KiB) Viewed 575 times
cactus-head

Re: MIDI CC parameter (0) not being recorded

Post by cactus-head »

My guess is two things:

1. The MSB wasn't saved as part of the tone setup
2. You have to assign a Knob to MSB and dial in the bank number when recording.

I'm not familiar with the CT-S1000V but went through the user guide, tone list and the MIDI implemention quickly checking on the bank information transmitted. It seems MSB LSB and Program Change should be transmitted when a tone setup number is selected. Maybe, if the MSB isn't set up as a controller when the tone setup is saved, it may not transmit and default to 0,0. This area was grey.

I have a Casio PX-5s that has similar "registrations" called stage settings that rely on a MSB, LSB and PC transmission/receipt. It has two MIDI output formats: NRPN and Bank/PRGCH . I tried both methods and the appropriate MIDI was recorded in Mixcraft (including MSB 0 ). This is just to say that Mixcraft will receive CC 0 MSB bank select.

My guess is also that you are playing back the sequencer on the CT-S1000V and recording the tracks to Mixcraft. If you have the Mixcraft tracks setup to receive input on ALL MIDI input devices and don't specify a specific channel for each track, then you may get multiple MIDI data on the same track and that conflict is causing the MSB not to register.
ChasD

Post by ChasD »

cactus-head wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:36 am My guess is two things:

1. The MSB wasn't saved as part of the tone setup
2. You have to assign a Knob to MSB and dial in the bank number when recording.

I'm not familiar with the CT-S1000V but went through the user guide, tone list and the MIDI implemention quickly checking on the bank information transmitted. It seems MSB LSB and Program Change should be transmitted when a tone setup number is selected. Maybe, if the MSB isn't set up as a controller when the tone setup is saved, it may not transmit and default to 0,0. This area was grey.

I have a Casio PX-5s that has similar "registrations" called stage settings that rely on a MSB, LSB and PC transmission/receipt. It has two MIDI output formats: NRPN and Bank/PRGCH . I tried both methods and the appropriate MIDI was recorded in Mixcraft (including MSB 0 ). This is just to say that Mixcraft will receive CC 0 MSB bank select.

My guess is also that you are playing back the sequencer on the CT-S1000V and recording the tracks to Mixcraft. If you have the Mixcraft tracks setup to receive input on ALL MIDI input devices and don't specify a specific channel for each track, then you may get multiple MIDI data on the same track and that conflict is causing the MSB not to register.

Many thanks for responding Cactus-head.

I've tried recording via a single "All MIDI" track, and I've also tried recording with 16 separate tracks with each track routed (both in and out) to the corresponding track of the USB Casio external device i.e. I record the MIDI input to track 1 from the Casio USB channel 1, and on play back I route the track 1 MIDI back out to the Casio USB channel 1. When recording I turn off each track's MIDI out routing so that I don't get MIDI loopback, and turn it on again when I want to play it back.

Whether I record to 16 separate tracks or a single MIDI ALL track, I get the same result. Mixcraft records all the MIDI CC parameters except (0) Bank MSB. This is why it won't select the correct instrument when I send the MIDI back out to the Casiotone S1000V.

As said, using the exact same set up with Reaper works fine, and Reaper will record all MIDI CC/ PC parameters including (0) Bank MSB, and therefore plays the track back correctly and with the correct instrument selected. I double checked the MIDI parameters being recorded in Reaper and it shows (0) Bank MSB as being recorded (that Mixcraft doesn't record), and also Bank LSB and Program change that Mixcraft does record. Pic below shows the MIDI log data for Reaper when I used the same set up as I used with Mixcraft, and you can see that the very first entry is (0) Bank MSB. Note that I used only 3 tracks in the pic below simply because I only wanted to record the U1, U2 and L1 layers from the S1000V. I've also tried using the same 3 track set up in Mixcraft with the same issue - all CCs are recorded except (0) Bank MSB.

Could there be a MIDI filter or something affecting this single parameter in Mixcraft?

Reaper Track 01 MIDI CC0 Bank MSB.png
Reaper Track 01 MIDI CC0 Bank MSB.png (261.05 KiB) Viewed 472 times
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Hi,

The CASIO PX-5s has a built in sequencer and it will send a Bank Select MSB when you hit start. Instead of playing by hand and triggering the Bank select manually, I set up a track that would send a value of 120. I started recording in Mixcraft then started the sequencer and the 120 was recorded to CC 0 (Bank Select MSB). Mixcraft definately has the ability to receive and record CC 0.

What steps are you taking when recording to Mixcraft? If your CASIO has a sequencer function, make sure Mixcraft is recording (past counting in) before you start the sequencer. Mixcraft does not read external time code so it will not start due to and will not be a slave to another device. I'm wondering if timing is the issue. Maybe you're not picking up CC 0 because recording was started too late.

As a test, in the Mixcraft MIDI preferences, try unchecking and checking various boxes. I don't see any that would have an effect on CC 0 except maybe "Remove Program Change Messages From MIDI Files"