Mixed Down Songs Cut Off Too Early?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

AfxTwn

Mixed Down Songs Cut Off Too Early?

Post by AfxTwn »

Hi, I have been mixing down some tracks to both MP3 and WAV files once I have finished mixing them in Mixcraft but when I play back the mixed down track in say iTunes, I have noticed that the reverb tail at the end of a track has been cut off so there is a sudden stop rather than a gradual, natural fade out with the reverb.

When mixing down a song, Mixcraft only mixes down up to wherever the playhead finishes but sometimes this isn't where the reverb may end that is on the FX. For example, with the Fusion Field plugin and the Fusion Field Full preset, this has a very long reverb tail and upon playback of a track, the playhead continues on a while after where the audio track has ended and then stops playback, however the reverb on the FX can still be heard quite a while after playback has ended. This means when mixing down a track, the track ends abruptly as it hasn't captured all of the reverb tail.

Is there any way round this other than having to fade out the bounced audio track before mix down? I like the natural decay of a reverb rather than having to have it suddenly stop or fade out unnaturally early.
Acoustica Greg

Re: Mixed Down Songs Cut Off Too Early?

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Did you try the suggestions in this pinned post? https://forums.acoustica.com/viewtopic.php?t=24566

If not, try those.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
AfxTwn

Post by AfxTwn »

Yes I looked at that thread but the problem isn't really to do with the file after mixdown, it's to do with playback stopping too early before mixdown on the timeline itself. A mixed down track is just a representative of whatever's on the timeline and will end wherever the caret finishes on the timeline. I have made sure my audio interface and mixdown settings match up perfectly. I am using 48,000 Hz sample rate at 24 bit stereo.

For example, I have been using one of the loops in Mixcraft that lasts 17 seconds and have added a reverb with a long tail in the FX part of the track. When playing back the sample, the playback caret/line carries on past where the loop ends as there is a reverb effect applied and so this makes it last longer. The playback marker stops at 27 seconds, so pretty much 10 seconds after the sample, which accounts for the reverb. However, I can still hear the reverb on my headphones after this and I timed it on my stopwatch and I couldn't hear it at around 33 seconds, so a further 6 seconds after the playback marker had stopped.

When mixing down the track to a WAV file, the file lasts 27 seconds, the same as where the caret stopped on the timeline but this creates a sudden cutoff at the end of the audio as it hasn't captured the tail-end of the reverb which should last another 6 seconds or so until the audio fades out completely.

As this happens before mixdown due to the caret stopping early, before the true end of the reverb where the audio fades out completely, I don't think this is specific to the mixdown, rather that the playback is ending too soon and I don't know why. When playback has ended, I can even still see the meters moving to indicate audio is still playing but the time counter has stopped and the caret has stopped moving too.

What determines when playback would end on a track and how long the playback marker will continue for until it stops? It doesn't appear to be triggered by when audio can't be heard anymore, so is there a pre-determined amount of time that playback will continue on past where a recording ends to allow for reverb or other effects but isn't actually based on where the audio truly ends? If I use a reverb with a very short tail, say the Room (Small) preset on Acoustica Reverb, then playback stops at 20 seconds. I would expect it to finish earlier than when I used the Fusion Field reverb, as that has a much longer tail on it and 3 seconds after when the sample ends is fine as there is no reverb tail so no audio can be heard. So there does appear to be some allowance for effects that last longer but not enough in some cases.

The only way I have found round this is to loop the audio that's being played out of my audio interface (via a second headphone monitor output) and back into a spare set of line inputs and to record those channels in Mixcraft until I can't hear the audio anymore. That way I get the full reverb tail for exactly how long it lasts as I am physically recording it on a new track and then I mix that track down to a WAV file.
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

If there truly is sound you want to capture that goes beyond the stopping point, another option would be to add a blank midi clip on another track that extends to or past the full length you believe the reverb tail ends. The position marker will continue at least to the end of the midi clip.