Any advantage to using Launchkey Pro over a Launchkey Mini MkII or Launchkey MkII?

Use this forum to discuss preamps, guitars, microphones, mixers, drums, turntables, keyboards and recording equipment in general.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

purplepat69

Any advantage to using Launchkey Pro over a Launchkey Mini MkII or Launchkey MkII?

Post by purplepat69 »

Looking at adding a Novation grid controller to my setup, but as usual, I don't know exactly what I am doing.

Obviously looking at using the controller with Mixcraft 9 (Pro Studio), not Ableton.

I don't plan on doing any finger drumming or anything of the sort. I'm not into EDM or any of the dance type stuff, but I am looking to use the controller for live performance stuff, things I would otherwise have to interact with the mouse but want to replace by pushing a button. Want to be able to do things like arm tracks to record live loops, change instrument tracks, maybe duplicate tracks/clips, etc. It appears Mixcraft natively supports these Novation controllers, but there is the possibility that I would want to "reprogram" all the buttons to do the actions I want to perform, not necessarily someone else's template.

With these things in mind, and being a thrifty sort, I have a couple of questions for anyone with experience/knowledge about the Launchpad family of controllers:

Is there any advantage to having a Launchpad Pro (not the mk3 version)? It's got more buttons on it, which I assume means more functionality, but if the buttons are not reconfigurable to Mixcraft functions, maybe they and the other features are just gilding the lily for someone like me and my intended use.

It appears the Mini mk3 does not have user configurable controls, so I think that choice is out for me. Again, for my intended use, would the Launchpad Mk2 or the Launchpad Mini Mk2 work just as well as the Launchpad Pro? Is there any compelling reason I should consider the Launchpad X over the Mk2 of any of the three older models?