Midi shaper setup in Mixcraft 9 pro ?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

tatanka

Midi shaper setup in Mixcraft 9 pro ?

Post by tatanka »

I just found out that midi shaper from Cableguys is really THE thing I was looking for looooong now to get midi cc automated without controller or automation lane.

The problem: I simply find no way to set it up in Mixcraft 9 pro to work in ANYWAY. No midi coming in, no modulation going out.

Maybe its cause it is recognized as effect, so it comes behind the instruments, no idea.

Maybe anyone has set it up and working ?

If this definitely dont work maybe something comparable that works like MCCGenerator from Melda for example ?
tatanka

Re: Midi shaper setup in Mixcraft 9 pro ?

Post by tatanka »

I have tried out now half a dozen different midi cc generators.

Its ALWAYS the same problem:

- they can only be loaded as effects, so they are BEHIND the midi coming into the instrument, so they are simply not working that way.

Greg: could you at least please confirm that these kinds of midi cc generators does not work IN GENERAL, so I really can stop trying the next half dozen.

Or show up a way to get this working in Mixcraft 9 Pro. Any alternatives welcome. Target is "simply" automatically modulate a cc (could be simply the modwheel) by an effect and NOT by automation lane I have to draw by hand.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Yeah, there might not be a way to do that. What have you tried? You can send MIDI into the plugin like this:

Use MIDI from track
Use MIDI from track
usemidiifromtrackMX9.png (12.4 KiB) Viewed 1537 times

But the tricky part is sending the MIDI output of the plugin somewhere. You could probably send it out to LoopMIDI and then back into Mixcraft.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
tatanka

Post by tatanka »

Thanks Greg,

that confirms that there is no easy way.

I have seen descriptions from different of the vst that just recommend this using external midi looper if the daw is not able to do it internally.

But as I wanted to make my life easier this way......so back to the automation lane I am afraid.

But for the upcooming 10 this should be really on the list to simply use these kind of effects internally, easiest way of course would be if you could load it simply as "instrument" (like its possible with all the midi generators like Captain plugins, Instacomposer.......) before the instrument so that midi goes in there and then threw to the instrument. Of course thats a simplified user view :wink:
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

Yeah, I bought it a year or two ago and had to ask for my money back because it just wasn't going to work.
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

I wonder if CCStepper would do the same thing as MIDI shaper. It's free (though donations always help) and I've always found CodeFN42 plugins work well with Mixcraft. It loads as an instrument.

https://www.codefn42.com/ccstepper/index.html

The way to use it, place CCStepper first in your instrument chain on a single track. Follow it with the synth you will make sound on or route to an external MIDI device.

Choose a CC number that you want CCStepper to control for the sequence number you've chosen. Add the number of steps up to 128. Draw your curve or use the preconfigured curve menu to the right of CCSteppers graph.

Make sure the dial or slider or whatever on your synth is mapped to the CC number you chose for this sequence in CCStepper. Hit play in mixcraft and you should be good to go.

A quick example below: add CCstepper as the first instrument followed by Memorymoon. Add a MIDI clip that is 1 measure long, add a Middle C that's the length of the clip. Then setup CCStepper as in the picture. Loop the clip in MIxcraft. Then hit play. You should see the cutoff knob in Memory moon spin left and right and hear the "wah wah" kinda filter effect.

ccstepper memorymoon.JPG
ccstepper memorymoon.JPG (149.61 KiB) Viewed 1465 times

Basically you could create all kinds of sequences for controlling whatever CC you want on your synth. Instead of automation, the sequences are triggered by playback and settings within CCStepper.