Open hi-hats shut off after closed-hats kick in

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

SLOPSMCFLOPS

Open hi-hats shut off after closed-hats kick in

Post by SLOPSMCFLOPS »

Hi all, recently been getting into this program, and loving it so far. However, I've run into an issue where using the studio drum kit, or any drum kit, the open high-hats will immediately shut off after the closed hi-hats. I've looked everywhere online about this issue, and it seems like people want the opposite of what I'm seeking, they'd rather have it cut off and transition. It's difficult because I want to keep it in 8ths with consistency, and with a more natural feel. If there's any answer for this I'd gladly appreciate it, and for all those that read, keep on jamming \m/
cactus-head

Re: Open hi-hats shut off after closed-hats kick in

Post by cactus-head »

Hi,

Open hi-hats in GM MIDI always close when closed hi-hat is triggered after. That's how it's programmed.

Are you looking for a pedal hi-hat effect where if playing a real kit one would step down and then quickly let the hi-hat open to ring a bit?

You can play the open hi-hats without following it with a closed.

Try using pedal hi-hat instead of closed. It doesn't have a ton of ring but you could line up a pedal hi-hat and open hi-hat just after it and reduce the velocity on the open hi-hat. You'll get the pedal hi-hat attack, you won't really hear the attach on the open hi-hat, and you'll get some cymbal ringing that will carry over. But the pedal is generally programmed to end the open hi-hat

Another way is to use Omni-sampler and use samples for your cymbals. The programming won't cause cut offs from sample to sample.
lordmullin

Re: Open hi-hats shut off after closed-hats kick in

Post by lordmullin »

Also you could open another midi track to program the closed and open hihats independently of each other.
I have to say, though, as real-life drummer, it wouldn't sound natural, to hear an open HH still ringing, while a closed HH carries on, but that's your aesthetic judgement :)
Good luck!
Mixcraft 9 build 469
Win10 64-bit, Intel i7, 8Gb RAM, Behringer UMC204HD