What's everyone using for mixer control surfaces?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Jrodz

What's everyone using for mixer control surfaces?

Post by Jrodz »

Hey everyone,

I've been looking at various mixers recently and I was just wondering what you guys are using with Mixcraft 9, how you dig it, and how compatible it is with Mixcraft.

I've been eyeing Mackies because I read that they're compatible with Mixcraft, but I've also been looking at Soundcraft. Does compatibility mean I can use the midi edit feature or will it transition over?

Thanks,
Jrodz
Jrodz

Re: What's everyone using for mixer control surfaces?

Post by Jrodz »

I've also been eyeing the Behringer X Touch Universals, has anyone had any luck with those?
omtayslick

Post by omtayslick »

Mickey and Minnie.
Tom
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Hi,

Just curious, are you looking for a combination mixer and audio interface? Is the computer DAW mixer not enough that you need a physical mixer? I'm small potatoes so an actual mixing board isn't really necessary for me but if I need a little distance from the computer screen, I usually do some minor mixer controlling using my android tablet and Wireless MIDI Mixer. It interfaces pretty well with Mixcraft.

My questions come from my own thought process: If I want to spend the money on a quality audio interface, I can forego the expense of a mixing board to put that towards the audio interface or some other equipment like a mic and just use the DAW mixer controls on the computer.
Last edited by cactus-head on Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

The OP lost me at "MIDI edit feature transitioning over"
I have no idea what that means.

There are as many needs and preferences as there are users I reckon.
I used hardware mixers for live sound, or recording multiple tracks simultaneously (primarily drum recording, etc.) Neither of which I do much of any more.
Some of the digital mixers and such look like fun toys, but don't really fit in with what I do any more, especially with Mixcraft specifically- so I can't really offer a suggestion.
Feels like more trouble than it is worth and it takes up precious space.

I will say that when I do a deep dive into editing and mixing audio in Mixcraft, I do like my ball mouse.

A tightly integrated control surface/mixer/DAW combination might intrigue me... But it just isn't happening here in my minimalistic economy world.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Jrodz

Post by Jrodz »

I already got an audio interface that does what I need it to do. I am mostly just trying to find some sort of mixer that I can physically touch to enhance my workflow, and not use a mouse during long mixing and recording sessions. If it has an audio interface involved, I'm totally cool with that, I'm not super concerned with space, its at my desk, I don't plan on gigging with it. I'm mostly just trying to find something that people have experience with instead of just winging it as I'm prone to do. I'd rather buy something that I know works with Mixcraft than something that doesn't.

Apologies for any confusion, when I said integrate what I meant to ask was if I purchased a product and lets say the faders or knobs didn't work with Mixcraft as a Mackie Control software would I be able to manually assign them. I figured that I'd have to use the midi learn, I'm not entirely sure why I thought it was called midi edit.
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

OK!
I use Korg NanoKONTROL 2 which has many features useful in my workflow and works well with Mixcraft.

I can control all transport operations, faders, pan, solo, mute and record. I even used one of the spare buttons to save my projects as I'm working.

It just plugs into a usb port on my PC.
Last edited by TrevsAudio on Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Ausus Razen 5 12 core 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

I use a NanoKontrol2 also. I'm just a hobbyist so it's great for what I need it for, small, easy to use and to set up.

M
Jammer862

Post by Jammer862 »

Mackie Sattelite
Yamaha MG10XU* (in testing)
Play on!