Mixcraft Suggestions!

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Banjostar

Re: Mixcraft Suggestions!

Post by Banjostar »

Shortcut keys for everything :) As it is now you you can't even switch between mixer and pianoroll without reaching for the mouse.
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

starwarswii wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:11 pm thanks for the link. i watched the whole thing, to make sure i was informed about the current capabilities of Mixcraft 9, and to make sure i didn't miss anything.

the workflow for automation is a little better in version 9,
but it's still missing the key improvement that my suggestion gives: automation clips.

right now, automation data lives directly on the timeline (yes, you can automate some parameters on the clip itself, but not arbitrary ones like you can with the standard automation feature). this 'living on the timeline' part hasn't been questioned, since it's simply always been that way, but really thinking about it, it's somewhat strange to have it in this 'raw' form. midi data, audio data, and even video data are in stored in 'clips'. this makes it very easy to move them around, and loop them. this sort of flexibility is lost with automation data because it's locked to the timeline.

if you want to move automation data, you need to use the copy-paste tools which are demonstrated in the video. this works, but can quickly get messy, and leave leftover points all over the place that need to be manually cleaned up. whereas for clips, you just single-click and drag; extremely easy. if you want to loop automation data for a few more measures, again you use the copy-paste tools. whereas for clips, you just single-click the 'loop' button directly on them.

i think switching automation tracks from working with data 'directly on the timeline' to working with clips of automation data would really increase the ease of moving, copying, and looping automations. i strongly believe a clip-based solution will be more user friendly and usable than the current copy-paste approach, no matter how mature the latter gets. copy-pasting will always be at least a little finicky: there's just an 'ease' barrier that can't be crossed with it.
+1
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
Banjostar

Post by Banjostar »

+1 for automation clips.
Sis_Account

Post by Sis_Account »

Thanks for Mixcraft - it's a great DAW. :D
Workflow would be greatly improved if all output tracks can be selected and deselected on the mixer view by clicking one button. I think this would significantly speed up gain staging and adjusting the volume of all tracks simultaneously.
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

Version 10 needs to have a viewable option, like the version 8 skin in Mx9. Just in case some youngsters don't understand what I mean, I will demonstrate using a couple of screenshots of a Plugin's version 1 and version 2, version 1 being easy to see and use & version 2 not being easy to see at all (which is even demonstrated by the word 'default' being hard to see in the preset menu. Tantra (which is not part of Mixcraft, but demonstrates the point perfectly)
2022-10-28 03_43_34-DS Audio TANTRA 2 - Plugin Alliance.jpg
2022-10-28 03_43_34-DS Audio TANTRA 2 - Plugin Alliance.jpg (171.86 KiB) Viewed 110695 times
Attachments
2022-10-28 03_45_25-Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio 64-Bit Build 470 - Untitled Project.mx9 _.jpg
2022-10-28 03_45_25-Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio 64-Bit Build 470 - Untitled Project.mx9 _.jpg (393.44 KiB) Viewed 110695 times
Windows 10 Professional
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

... Also, the ability to disarm all recorded automation lanes with a single instruction i.e. without removing the ability to record other automations, as the drop down menu control does. I am sick of recording hundreds of automations in one go, only to have to manually disarm each of them individually ... I've just recorded two Keystep Pro Arpeggios turned into sequences on two tracks (channels 2 & 3), each fed through a copy of Tantra one, I automated the second one by switching between presets. This resulted in 312 lanes of automation which I had to disarm individually, so that I can record further automations on further tracks without erasing the automations I just recorded.
Windows 10 Professional
inertias

Post by inertias »

Hi, new to the forum so sorry if these things have been suggested to death or if I'm just ignorant about features...

as far I know, audio tracks cannot be dragged into any plugin. Really annoying for sampler plugins. I guess acoustica plugins work, but other software will not allow it, so you have to actually find the .wav file on your computer and drag that in. Would be nice if they were just treated as a location for the .wav file so plugins can recognize it.

Maybe just me but I find zooming in mixcraft to be not so great. I want to be able to easily stretch horizontally for example. If I have a tiny drum sample audio track, it's hard to use automation curves if you can't zoom horizontally to stretch out the audiotrack.

I really wish mixcrafts built in sampler plugins had more control over shaping the waveform and controlling loop modes like one shot/loop/play until release, etc. I know looping already exists, but there's no control over it. Things like envelopes, snapping, crossfading don't exist to really fine-tune the sample.

looking forward to future updates :)
Guaresneider

Post by Guaresneider »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:36 pm Hi starwarswii,

See if this video helps: https://acoustica.com/mixcraft/videos/ ... automation

Greg
Thanks Greg, this video helped me a lot! Works! :D
bobbynash

Post by bobbynash »

It would be great if there was an option to choose whether the slider of each track in the mixer is on the right or on the left side of the track's meter. I would really like the option to have it on the right side of the meter.
Mixedbyedd

Post by Mixedbyedd »

My suggestion (please take this into serious consideration)

If in Mixcraft 10, the developers can update the audio engine with more clarity, a wider stereo image, & more headroom - MC10 will be golden. As we all know MC is leading in the 'load up and get straight to work' programs on the market today - best workflows ever.

I've tested many DAWs, as well as analog mixers (neve, ssl, electroydyne), even AD/DA converters (prism, lavry, apogee)

But on topic with DAWs, I feel MC kinda lacks in the mixdown (audio engine) and what goes in comes out slightly narrow, less defined, compared to other DAWs I've tested. Samplitude Pro X4, Logic, as examples. Which sounds more 'honest' 'neutral' nothing to alter the source.

However, please Mixcraft - take this suggestion and do as you will, but I think it'd be a great idea and will turn MC10 into a total beast :D

sent audio examples/videos to Eric

Best,

Eddie
twitter.com/therealliledd
instagram.com/lileddmusic
Mixedbyedd

Post by Mixedbyedd »

Sis_Account wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:18 am Thanks for Mixcraft - it's a great DAW. :D
Workflow would be greatly improved if all output tracks can be selected and deselected on the mixer view by clicking one button. I think this would significantly speed up gain staging and adjusting the volume of all tracks simultaneously.

i agrée!
Banjostar

Post by Banjostar »

Mixedbyedd wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:26 pm My suggestion (please take this into serious consideration)

If in Mixcraft 10, the developers can update the audio engine with more clarity, a wider stereo image, & more headroom - MC10 will be golden. As we all know MC is leading in the 'load up and get straight to work' programs on the market today - best workflows ever.

I've tested many DAWs, as well as analog mixers (neve, ssl, electroydyne), even AD/DA converters (prism, lavry, apogee)

But on topic with DAWs, I feel MC kinda lacks in the mixdown (audio engine) and what goes in comes out slightly narrow, less defined, compared to other DAWs I've tested. Samplitude Pro X4, Logic, as examples. Which sounds more 'honest' 'neutral' nothing to alter the source.

However, please Mixcraft - take this suggestion and do as you will, but I think it'd be a great idea and will turn MC10 into a total beast :D

Best,

Eddie
This is so stupid. Do a null test and post it here.
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

Add the possibility for keyswitches in the midi module configuration, so that we can trigger effect parameters like mix, drive etc. From the effect section in an instrument preset.

There would be toggle, on hold keyswitches with an on/off value needed. With an additional fade in and out time between the values could be nice to trigger an delay effect fast in and automatic blend out over 5 seconds while playing :D

And btw give us the feature to route the midi keys forward to the effect section within an instrument preset as it is available in the track effect section. Currently I can't save instrument presets with shaperbox as an example because this effect needs the midi keys in some cases to work correctly.

Best regards
Patrick
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

Mixedbyedd wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:26 pm My suggestion (please take this into serious consideration)

Best,

Eddie
i agree that the audio engine needs serious addressing (as evidenced by the fact, for example, that all vst2 versions of Melda productions plugins have no right channel output- set the plugins' mix level to zero to see that the right channel is missing, though at non-zero levels it may appear to be there due to the processing of the plugin creating new right channel data). This means using the vst3 versions which do not display properly a lot of the time. Also as a consequence of such inconsistencies in Mixcraft 9, I never use the Mixdown option at all (I just add the vst3 version of Melda's MRecorder on the Master track to record the output).
It has the best workflow, but unreliable for accurate mixdown (unless you are just recording and mixing audio inputs maybe).
Windows 10 Professional
Mixedbyedd

Post by Mixedbyedd »

So glad you understand.

I'm not here to compare to other DAWs, but the test I did, didn't null with the other.

Yes it's minimum, but that little tweak could make the biggest difference on how we make our mixing decisions.

How do you use Melda's MRecorder? I'm down to try it.

Ian Craig wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:24 pm

Best,

Eddie
i agree that the audio engine needs serious addressing (as evidenced by the fact, for example, that all vst2 versions of Melda productions plugins have no right channel output- set the plugins' mix level to zero to see that the right channel is missing, though at non-zero levels it may appear to be there due to the processing of the plugin creating new right channel data). This means using the vst3 versions which do not display properly a lot of the time. Also as a consequence of such inconsistencies in Mixcraft 9, I never use the Mixdown option at all (I just add the vst3 version of Melda's MRecorder on the Master track to record the output).
It has the best workflow, but unreliable for accurate mixdown (unless you are just recording and mixing audio inputs maybe).
Last edited by Mixedbyedd on Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.