EZ DRUMMER 3 MOUSE CONTROLLER

Discussions of VST and VST3 plugins for Mixcraft users.

Moderators: Acoustica Eric, rsaintjohn

jwarv

EZ DRUMMER 3 MOUSE CONTROLLER

Post by jwarv »

Sometimes I just want to record a quick cymbal crash or finger snap without turning on the keyboard controller. Does anybody know if you can record midi from EZD3 by clicking the mouse on the drum or percussion kits while the transporter is recording? It doesn't record anything whenever I've tried it, but thought maybe there was a setting I was missing.

I guess I could use the PC keyboard, but I can't even record percussion on a controller much less the PC keys. Any thoughts?
jwarv

Re: EZ DRUMMER 3 MOUSE CONTROLLER

Post by jwarv »

jwarv wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:18 pm Sometimes I just want to record a quick cymbal crash or finger snap without turning on the keyboard controller. Does anybody know if you can record midi from EZD3 by clicking the mouse on the drum or percussion kits while the transporter is recording? It doesn't record anything whenever I've tried it, but thought maybe there was a setting I was missing.

I guess I could use the PC keyboard, but I can't even record percussion on a controller much less the PC keys. Any thoughts?
OK, I did some exploring and apparently the percussion is waaaay down at the bottom of the PC keyboard octave spread. I was able to click it with the mouse and it recorded. On my keybaord controller, I have to drop it a few octaves to even get to those notes. So, it appears musical typing is the preferred way for one shots when I don't want to fire up the controller. Otherwise, I'll just use the preset loops they have for extended tracks.
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

And one more thing...I just realized you can record mouse hits on the kit directly into EZD3 and drag it to MC, but I was looking for a way to record midi directly to MC from EZD using the mouse.

I don't usually talk to myself this much, I swear. :?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

There's no option to do that currently.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

Currently. So, you're telling me there's a chance. Say, one in "10"? :wink:
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

There's always a chance.
dk777

Post by dk777 »

How did you get ez drummer 3 to render an output file?. I checked my bitrate for the wav file in prefrences and in the mixdown and all I get is an empty file.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

dk777 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:30 pm How did you get ez drummer 3 to render an output file?. I checked my bitrate for the wav file in prefrences and in the mixdown and all I get is an empty file.
Hi,

If you load that mixed down file into Mixcraft and play it, can you hear it?

Greg
mtntracks

Post by mtntracks »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:09 pm Hi,

There's no option to do that currently.

Greg
Hi Greg - Is this option available now in MX 10 PS ? I was under the impression (from the new features video) that this is something available now in MX 10 PS, that is, the ability to record the MIDI out from a VST directly into a track in MX 10 PS. However I cannot get it to work.

I'm setting EZD2 to generate Midi output, but am unable to record directly from manual drum hits (mouse clicks) in EZD2 into a Virtual Instrument track in MX 10 PS.

Did I misunderstand this new feature?

Thanks.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

That feature only works with plugins that send out MIDI. I don't know that EZ Drummer is designed to do that. Something like Chordz or an arpeggiator instrument are designed to send MIDI along to another instrument.

Why don't you record your mouse hits as a groove in EZ Drummer, then drag the groove to an instrument track in Mixcraft?

Greg
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi again,

Actually, you know what else you could do? You could record your mouse hits as audio on an audio track.

Greg
mtntracks

Post by mtntracks »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:17 pm Hi,

That feature only works with plugins that send out MIDI. I don't know that EZ Drummer is designed to do that. Something like Chordz or an arpeggiator instrument are designed to send MIDI along to another instrument.

Why don't you record your mouse hits as a groove in EZ Drummer, then drag the groove to an instrument track in Mixcraft?

Greg
Hi Greg -

Thanks for the quick reply.

EZD2 has a setting to send MIDI out, and there is a visual cue that shows when it is turned on. I have it turned on but still no info is recorded on the MX10 PS track when I play (click) on EZD2 instruments.

Sure, I can continue working as you suggest, by layering the drum hits in EZD2 and then copying it over to MX10 ; I believe we've had this discussion in the past. But I would rather work in one interface (MX10 PS) and layer the EZD2 drums (or other vst MIDI ouput) there, rather than in that (small) EZD2 interface.

I would think that Acoustica would rather their users use the MX10 PS interface for all of their work - get them locked into using the product that way.
mtntracks

Post by mtntracks »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:19 pm Hi again,

Actually, you know what else you could do? You could record your mouse hits as audio on an audio track.

Greg
Hmmmm ... what would the track setup look like to accomplish that? (basic steps)
mtntracks

Post by mtntracks »

Interesting, regarding EZD3. Yeah, not interested in that upgrade price.

Thanks for the screenshots. I seem to be missing something. After I arm the audio track, I attempt to select the input as shown in your screenshot, but all I see are the inputs for my sound device (scarlett), so Input 1 / Input 2 , etc.

I don't see how to "enable the instrument as a MIDI Src," - I'm guessing that's the problem?

AHHHHH. FOUND IT.

So, these are the steps that I did to get it working:

1. Enable MIDI Out in EZD2 :
Menu>Settings>MIDI Events>Enable MIDI Out>OK
EZD2_EnableMidiOut.png
EZD2_EnableMidiOut.png (406.6 KiB) Viewed 1629 times

2. Setup the EZD2 Virtual Instrument diaglogue to allow recording of output:

From my existing EZD2 track:

Click the "Change Instrument" icon to bring up the virtual instrument dialogue, and select the two items designated with the arrows:
MX10_EZD_VstRecord.png
MX10_EZD_VstRecord.png (81.1 KiB) Viewed 1629 times

3. Add the Virtual Instrument track where you want to record additional percussion (using mouse clicks) in EZD2:

The EZ Drummer vst now shows up as a source in the Track>Arm dropdown dialogue (after we setup the EZD2 virtual instrument in Step 2 above):

MX10_EZD_ArmTrack.png
MX10_EZD_ArmTrack.png (49.75 KiB) Viewed 1629 times

4. Press record on the new Virtual Instrument track and start clicking the additional percussion sounds in EZD2.

I can now record my drum hits from EZD2 "mouse clicks" onto new Virtual Instrument MX10 PS track(s) and layer multiple percussion tracks that way if I want. Of course, this records the MIDI information onto the new Virtual Instrument track.

This was a feature request that I made a while ago, (to be able to record from any MIDI source, vst or not), so I'm super glad to see it in V10 - thanks team!

Thanks for your help Greg! Hopefully someone else will find this useful.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

And recording audio would work the same way, but you'd arm an audio track for EZ Drummer instead of an instrument track.

Greg