Separate effects for lanes?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

BillW

Separate effects for lanes?

Post by BillW »

I've been using Chris Hein Horns Compact for a while and just purchased Chis Hein Strings Compact

Typically I've been putting each instrument on a separate track, which implies a separate instance of Kontakt for each.

A while ago on this forum I learned I can assign a different instrument to a different lane on one track. It's controlled by the midi channel assigned in Kontakt itself. So I can get multiple instruments on one track - saving resources.

All good - but two questions. First - is there anyway to use automation SEPARATELY for each lane? I COULD change volumes independently for each lane within the clip I guess.

Second - can I add a DIFFERENT effect (say a different level of reverb) for each lane?

Or do I have to I have to apply the same effect to every lane / instrument?

Thanks much!
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
Acoustica Greg

Re: Separate effects for lanes?

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Click the little plus sign on the Kontakt track to display the output tracks, and then you can put different automation and effects on each instrument output track.

Show child tracks.
Show child tracks.
multi-outplussign.png (6.95 KiB) Viewed 1683 times
Click Config to control which output tracks are displayed:

Configure output tracks.
Configure output tracks.
multi-outvstimx9.png (66.79 KiB) Viewed 1683 times

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
BillW

Post by BillW »

Very Helpful Greg!

But am I limited to 4 with Kontakt?

I can add a 5th lane and assign it to midi port 5

And it plays - but down below on the individual parts for automation and effects, it still only shows aux 1 though 4. With a whole lot unassigned. Is there a way to assign them? Or is that limitation?

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
BillW

Post by BillW »

OK - so I see I don't understand yet. The aux sections below (1.1 Kt. st 1, 1.2 Kt aux etc) do not refer to the lanes I have on that track

I have 5 instruments - 5 lanes.

I figured I need to assign a different midi channel to each (1 through 5).

I expected - or want - each of those lanes / midi channels to have its own automation and effects track below

Maybe my terminology isn't right. But it seems the only actual track I see is st 1 and that's the only place the effects and automation seem to work. Which then applies to all 5 instruments / lanes.

Something isn't registering in me.

EDIT - I gues what I'm expecting to see is 2.1, 3.1 etc; I figured out how to add output channels st 2, st 3 etc. But they don't show up below or on the box when I click config

cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Hi,

Lanes in Mixcraft are not the same as "subtracks" or individual output channels for a multi-instrument. Ideally, you do not want to add lanes in Mixcraft for this. Lanes serve a different purpose than multiple output channels. Lanes allow a single MIDI instrument to have multiple tracks of audio on either the same channel or many channels. Lanes are also used for "takes" when recording so you can mix and match parts or of course, use the best of multiple takes. Also, lanes allow for only one set of effects on the main track and not effects assigned to different lanes.

What it sounds like you need to do, is configure Kontakt for multi-instrument ouput. Once that's done, you assign it how Greg demonstrated above.

For the Kontakt part, check out this link (but your EDIT suggest you may have understood this part)

https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... m-to-a-DAW

Once the Kontakt part is saved, restart mixcraft and select your instrument.
Last edited by cactus-head on Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Config allows you to set up which outputs are shown then you click that little plus sign.

Set up each lane on the track to be on a different MIDI channel by right-clicking on the lane.

Set each instrument in Kontakt to on a different output track with a different MIDI channel.

Then you can have unique effects and automation on each output track.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
BillW

Post by BillW »

Hi Greg -

Here's my confusion.

I have one track with Kontakt.

I have four instruments. They all have a different midi channle (1,2 ,3 4).

I add 4 lanes and assing those midi channels accordingly (1 to lane 1 etc)

But the output of each instrument says st.1

And the only other option is st 2

I don't see how to add an st 3 , 4, etc

I CAN create a separate output channel for the instrument under the output drop down, but it looks like that routes to st 1; it doesn't look like I can create a st 3 etc

I THINK I can route it to one of the 4 aux

Which implies I can have 6 instruments with their own automation/effect tracks?

Which SHOULD be plenty.

Do I have that right?