Noise when monitor audio button on

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Mab098157

Noise when monitor audio button on

Post by Mab098157 »

There is noticeable noise floor when using monitor audio button. How do I reduce this? No noise when monitoring directly in interface, but when this button is active it generates noise floor. I don't have this result when using stand alone VST.

MIxcraft prod 9 latest build
Happens with multiple interfaces
Happens with multiple interface locations, power sources, cables, ports, etc
build 470.JPG
build 470.JPG (27.8 KiB) Viewed 1124 times
monitor button on.JPG
monitor button on.JPG (167.23 KiB) Viewed 1124 times
monitor button off.JPG
monitor button off.JPG (155.09 KiB) Viewed 1124 times
Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind
Acoustica Greg

Re: Noise when monitor audio button on

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

What's the track armed for, exactly? Is it picking up room ambience or something? What's in the audio chain?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Mab098157

Post by Mab098157 »

Armed for instrument - guitar DI. When monitored on interface headphones, no noise.
Even when input gain is 0 on interface still getting this noise in mixcraft.
Playback on recorded signal at 0 gain is clean, even though monitoring audio button on was still producing this noise.
Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

What happens if you bypass the effects?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Mab098157

Post by Mab098157 »

monitor button on no input. None of the effects (except analyzer ) are active. even track with no input and n o FX has monitor noise?[attachment=1]monitor button on no input.JPG
monitor button on no input.JPG
monitor button on no input.JPG (68.22 KiB) Viewed 1015 times
Attachments
monitor button on no input zoom.JPG
monitor button on no input zoom.JPG (12.39 KiB) Viewed 1015 times
Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Hi,

If you can eliminate pickup-noise, and all gain input from your audio interface (AI), then I'd bet it's picking up the electronics in your computer. Either from the USB port or from the fan in your computer.

Monitoring directly through the AI is a little different than monitoring through the computer or software. Once you switch on the monitoring in Mixcraft, I'm guessing mixcraft is showing up everything passing through the computer.

I did a test with mixcraft monitoring on and off. I don't see the oscilloscope fluctuating on the Master track when off - only when on. I used the spectrum analysis to see "how loud" the noise was and at the lower frequencies it's below -157 DB and the higher frequencies are below -116 DB. I was able to record the noise with and without the monitoring being on and reproduce the signal in the analyzer.

Can't think of a test to really see if it's the fan or USB except if you unplug everything USB from the computer or if you can throttle up and down the fan to see if the noise changes.

Just a note, with monitoring on and playback, the noise signal increased in the analyzer. Not by much, but enough to demonstrate that there is the slightest bit of noise being added to the final output. Muting the Audio Track eliminates the noise altogether, but it suggests the more audio tracks there are, the more this signal would get compounded. I would think this is a function of recording no matter what the circumstances. There's going to be the slightest electronic bleed. If you can find the sources you can do your best to eliminate it. Again, I'm guessing it's the fan on the computer (and maybe USB because that has a reputation for noise, grounding etc.).

Poor quality patch cables or other cheap connectors can all contribute to noise. Also the pickups on a guitar are basically mics. Your guitar could be picking up noise in the room (like the computer fan).
Guaresneider

Post by Guaresneider »

Mab098157 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:01 pm There is noticeable noise floor when using monitor audio button. How do I reduce this? No noise when monitoring directly in interface, but when this button is active it generates noise floor. I don't have this result when using stand alone VST.

MIxcraft prod 9 latest build
Happens with multiple interfaces
Happens with multiple interface locations, power sources, cables, ports, etc
build 470.JPGmonitor button on.JPGmonitor button off.JPG

Here are some steps you can try to reduce the noise floor when using the monitor audio button in Mixcraft:

• Check your audio interface's input settings: Make sure that the input level is not set too high, which can cause unwanted noise.

• Use a direct monitoring feature: If your audio interface has a direct monitoring feature, you can use this to reduce the noise floor by avoiding the computer's audio processing.

• Disable any unused inputs: If you have multiple inputs on your audio interface, make sure that only the input that you're using is active to reduce the possibility of noise coming from unused inputs.

• Use a noise gate: A noise gate is a device that mutes the audio when the signal falls below a certain level. You can try using a noise gate in your signal chain to reduce the noise floor.

• Use a low-noise cable: If you're using a cable to connect your audio interface to your sound system, make sure that it's a low-noise cable to minimize unwanted interference.

• Update drivers: Make sure that you have the latest drivers for your audio interface installed. Outdated drivers can cause performance issues, including increased noise floor.

• Reset Mixcraft: Sometimes, simply resetting Mixcraft can resolve the issue. Try quitting the program and restarting it to see if this resolves the problem.