Instruments Disconnects from Tracks

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

RIL

Re: Instruments Disconnects from Tracks

Post by RIL »

Hm, strange. Three image attachments but one is shown twice. lotsa bugs these days... :?
//RIL
-- There's always a solution -- (me)
Sturdy

Post by Sturdy »

Hi, This doesn't address your specific issue, but I wanted to mention Melda's MNotepad might be of interest for making track notes. I think it's one of the plugs in their free vst suite.
https://www.meldaproduction.com/MNotepad
RIL

Post by RIL »

Sturdy wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:20 pm "... I wanted to mention Melda's MNotepad might be of interest for making track notes.<snip>
Thank you for the link! Such a note tool can be very useful!
//RIL
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

Look at this thread about the same issue in Logic. I don't think it has anything to do with Mixcraft. The problem could be related to an external drive.

https://www.logicprohelp.com/forums/top ... -an-issue/

I've been using Kontakt a lot in Mixcraft since version 7 of Mixcraft and I've never seen that before. This fact points to a problem related to something else around Mixcraft or Kontakt.

Patrick
RIL

Post by RIL »

ppayne wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:34 am The problem could be related to an external drive.
https://www.logicprohelp.com/forums/top ... -an-issue/
Interesting post.

I currently use a Samsung 1TB SSD USB2.0, but before that I also had the problem when saving on an internal NVme SSD. Kontakt seems to be the main suspect, so I'll be watching Kontakt a little closer, and perhaps reinstall & refresh some libraries and paths etc.

Debugging Kontakt Problems.jpg
Debugging Kontakt Problems.jpg (6.45 KiB) Viewed 846 times
//RIL
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

One thing with external drives is that the drive letter can change when you disconnect it and re-connect it.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
RIL

Post by RIL »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:47 pm One thing with external drives is that the drive letter can change when you disconnect it and re-connect it.
True. However, I gave it a dedicated drive letter (T:\) which won't change.

Also, if it ever were disconnected while using it I'd notice that Kontakt would be entirely empty, no sound libraries whatsoever. :wink:
//RIL
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

A usb drive works in a special way. So you have to eject it to force the drive to write cached data to disc. In addition, there are sometimes problems with the powersaving usb option, which causes the disk to be delayed during the first access after shutdown, etc.

I would try disabling all power saving options for the USB ports. This can only be done in the device manager for each USB hub driver on properties tab I think.

Patrick
RIL

Post by RIL »

ppayne wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:53 am A usb drive ... So you have to eject it to force the drive to write cached data to disc. ...
I would try disabling all power saving options for the USB ports.
This could definitely be a reason for lost connection information! I just disabled the power saving options, and so I will find out if I will have any further problems with Kontakt.

Thank you for this advice!
//RIL
Sturdy

Post by Sturdy »

Interesting regarding usb drives. fwiw as an additional datapoint - all my kontakt libraries are run from permanent internal drives and I haven't experienced the disconnection issue yet.
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

In case anyones interested, I use powered external USB drives (all my vst samples and libraries are stored there including kontakt) and also a powered USB strip. I've never lost connectivity.