Will Mixcraft 10 still load VST2 plugins?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

cactus-head

Will Mixcraft 10 still load VST2 plugins?

Post by cactus-head »

Hi,

I've been reading that some DAWS, since Steinberg has stopped support for VST2, will not even load or recognize VST2 plugins. Will Mixcraft 10 stop being able to load VST2 plugins?
Acoustica Greg

Re: Will Mixcraft 10 still load VST2 plugins?

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Yes, Mixcraft 10 will still load VST2 plugins. There are too many good plugins out there to stop supporting VST2.

But... it will be 64-bit only. We're not making a 32-bit version of Mixcraft 10. It will still be able to load both 64-bit and 32-bit plugins, of course.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Thanks
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

cactus-head wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:40 pm Hi,

I've been reading that some DAWS, since Steinberg has stopped support for VST2, will not even load or recognize VST2 plugins.
I have to wonder where you read this or what DAWs this applies to. I suspect zero, frankly.
PawGan

Post by PawGan »

Seems that Steinberg's host applications and plug-ins on macOS and Windows will be VST 3 compatible only in the near future....how quickly that spreads to other Daws etc is anyone's guess.....
Banjostar

Post by Banjostar »

PawGan wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:56 am Seems that Steinberg's host applications and plug-ins on macOS and Windows will be VST 3 compatible only in the near future....how quickly that spreads to other Daws etc is anyone's guess.....
And then you have CLAP if it manages to get some traction.
Guaresneider

Post by Guaresneider »

Banjostar wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:24 am
PawGan wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:56 am Seems that Steinberg's host applications and plug-ins on macOS and Windows will be VST 3 compatible only in the near future....how quickly that spreads to other Daws etc is anyone's guess.....
And then you have CLAP if it manages to get some traction.
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

I'd say the chances of me ever using a DAW which doesn't support VST2 is about the same as the chances of me winning the lottery.
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Greg says Mixcraft is good to go but other software...

So Musescore 4 came out a little while ago. It does not have VST2 support. Only VST3. The site references the Steinberg SDK license.
https://musescore.org/en/node/333821

It seems the Steinberg SDK only allows a VST3 host license. This may be for new development only. If a company has already secured a VST2 license, then perhaps - I haven't dug into the full legality of it.

So, Mixcraft may be safe, I have no idea about the licensing requirements, but it would seem new developers that purchase and sign a license agreement with Steinberg would not be allowed to build VST2 support. So if you have some of the greatest VST2 plugins on earth in your arsenal, read carefully that any host software you purchase can support VST2 or hope that there is the equivalent VST3 out there.

I wonder if some of those plugins that are capable of housing VSTs and VSTis (in a manner like Catalyst does) will only be able to load VST3s. So before flipping out that many of your plugins don't show up in these types of circumstances in that fancy new plug-in you bought, be aware if the software is even capable of supporting VST2.

https://forums.steinberg.net/t/can-i-cr ... nse/202012