Tracks not playing in Mixcraft 9 Pro.

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Mr.Mxyzptlk

Tracks not playing in Mixcraft 9 Pro.

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

Why does Mixcraft not play tracks intermittently? For no apparent reason, one track will stop playing any sound and I keep having to reload the instrument again. It mainly happens with some of the orchestral libraries.

I shouldn't have to keep doing this and find it really frustrating. I should be able to load a project and just continue where I left off but I don't have that confidence with Mixcraft at the moment.

Does anyone else have this problem?
i7-10700K 8Core @3.80 GHz, 128GB- 5TB NVMe+3TB SSD (Int) 4TB SSD (Ext)- Samsung 24"x3 Mon- PreSonus Studio 1810c+Eris E5 XT+Atom SQ- Yamaha Montage 7- AKG D5- Win 11 Pro- MX10 Pro- EastWest- Roland Cloud- KORG 4- Spitfire Audio- Heavyocity- 8Dio- NI
Acoustica Greg

Re: Tracks not playing in Mixcraft 9 Pro.

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Are you using Mixcraft 9.0 build 470?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

Yes, I sure am.
i7-10700K 8Core @3.80 GHz, 128GB- 5TB NVMe+3TB SSD (Int) 4TB SSD (Ext)- Samsung 24"x3 Mon- PreSonus Studio 1810c+Eris E5 XT+Atom SQ- Yamaha Montage 7- AKG D5- Win 11 Pro- MX10 Pro- EastWest- Roland Cloud- KORG 4- Spitfire Audio- Heavyocity- 8Dio- NI
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Which orchestral plugin has the problem? Which version are you using of that plugin?

Greg
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:51 pm Hi,

Which orchestral plugin has the problem? Which version are you using of that plugin?

Greg
Usually happens with EastWest Hollywood Choirs and Hollywood Brass. Sometimes, the track will play but the volume is very low, other times there is no sound at all. It's fine when I reload the library sample, but the same problem could occur again at any time.

I'm sure it's happened with other EastWest libraries too, but they are the main culprits. They were the gold versions, but I recently upgraded to the Platinum and Diamond libraries a few months back.
Northfield.Lenox

Post by Northfield.Lenox »

I have this happen occasionally with spitfire Audio products. I either just keep restarting or mix the track down to audio..
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

I don't recall ever having this issue with the Spitfire Audio stuff. I've leaned towards using them more when I can for that reason, but I do rely on my EastWest stuff too so if this problem could be resolved, that would be great.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Does it happen with any library, or just certain ones? Is this MIDI that you created in Mixcraft, or did you import the MIDI from an external source?

Greg
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Some orchestral plugins use the Modulation wheel for expression. In Mixcraft it seems to reset if not controlled within the clip and can bring the instrument volume very low or to zero. Try moving the modulation wheel while the track is playing back to see if the mod wheel is affecting volume.

There's a "reset Mod Wheel..." option in Preferences > MIDI that you can try flipping on or off before loading a project. See if it makes a difference.
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:24 pm Hi,

Does it happen with any library, or just certain ones? Is this MIDI that you created in Mixcraft, or did you import the MIDI from an external source?

Greg
There's no rhyme or reason to it. I couldn't predict when it's going to happen and it's MIDI created within Mixcraft. The only solution is re-loading the instrument back into the track. The most basic expectation is loading an instrument to a track, recording to that track, saving the song then opening it again to resume where I left off. I just don't get why that is an issue.
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

cactus-head wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:30 pm Some orchestral plugins use the Modulation wheel for expression. In Mixcraft it seems to reset if not controlled within the clip and can bring the instrument volume very low or to zero. Try moving the modulation wheel while the track is playing back to see if the mod wheel is affecting volume.

There's a "reset Mod Wheel..." option in Preferences > MIDI that you can try flipping on or off before loading a project. See if it makes a difference.
It's not the mod wheel. In my other thread, I posted that some of the sounds can sound completely different, even mid session. That is even more bizarre.
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Something just came to mind with East West symphonic choirs... The mixcraft track has to be on channel 1. In East West VSTs, in order to get the partials of various samples, articulations etc. to play together to form one instrument, the MIDI channels are divided inside the instrument itself among all of it's internal samples - so if you send a channel 2 to an EW instrument for instance, it's going to play the partial sample(in the case of a vocal library it could be a syllable or other sound) .

So on an EW instrument, try right clicking on the Mixcraft track, from the pop up choose Lanes > MIDI Channel > 1 . Do this for each EW instrument you have on a track. I remember this from some time ago when I couldn't get Symphonic Choirs to work right and this was the solution.

You'll run into problems if you are loading a MIDI score that has all of the channels in the clips preassigned. I think the lane setting trick above works but if not, you might have to edit the midi file so the parts that play back EW instruments are set to channel 1.

If you can use the VST2 versions I think you'll have better luck too.