Recording changes to VST instrument parameters

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

mattdyckmusic

Recording changes to VST instrument parameters

Post by mattdyckmusic »

I just recently got an Arturia Minilab MKII and it's awesome. I have been experimenting with setting up the midi knobs to control different parameters on the virtual instruments. Adjusting some of these settings while playing has a pleasing sound, however when recording it is simply recording the midi notes and not the control adjustments. Maybe I'm just a n00b at this, but is there a way to record it with these changes? I understand that the controls would be different across different instruments, so I'm sure that's why it doesn't just do it automatically.

Example of the issue I'm having:
Using the VB3 Organ I have my sustain pedal set up to turn the rotary motors up or down. When listening to the playback it only adjusts the motor speed as I use the sustain pedal during playback.
Rolling Estonian

Re: Recording changes to VST instrument parameters

Post by Rolling Estonian »

You'll need to automate. Here's an older but still very useful video:

https://youtu.be/Apg9wesz74o

M
mattdyckmusic

Post by mattdyckmusic »

Thank you! That video helped out perfectly. Setting which parameter and arming alongside the armed midi lane allows me to do exactly what I was hoping for (plus the added benefit of being able to adjust it later if necessary).
Guaresneider

Post by Guaresneider »

mattdyckmusic wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:55 pm I just recently got an Arturia Minilab MKII and it's awesome. I have been experimenting with setting up the midi knobs to control different parameters on the virtual instruments. Adjusting some of these settings while playing has a pleasing sound, however when recording it is simply recording the midi notes and not the control adjustments. Maybe I'm just a n00b at this, but is there a way to record it with these changes? I understand that the controls would be different across different instruments, so I'm sure that's why it doesn't just do it automatically.

Example of the issue I'm having:
Using the VB3 Organ I have my sustain pedal set up to turn the rotary motors up or down. When listening to the playback it only adjusts the motor speed as I use the sustain pedal during playback.
Yes, the Arturia Minilab MKII provides the option to record the control adjustments. To record your control adjustments in Mixcraft 9:

Connect the Minilab MKII to your computer and make sure it is recognized by the software.

In Mixcraft 9, create a new MIDI track.

Select the Arturia Minilab MKII as the input device for the MIDI track.

Arm the MIDI track for recording by clicking on the "Record" button.

Play your Minilab MKII while adjusting the controls and your changes will be recorded in real-time on the MIDI track in Mixcraft 9.

Note: If you want to record the actual sound produced by the Minilab MKII, you will need to create an audio track and select the Minilab MKII as the input device for that track as well.
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

You're welcome. Automation is an incredible tool.

M