How to Backup?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Sturdy

How to Backup?

Post by Sturdy »

Hi all,

I'm on Windows PC and looking to make sure I backup my projects properly.

If I copy all the contents from the "My Documents/Mixcraft Projects" folder (all my projects are currently in the default install path) and archive it to another drive, am I getting everything I need with exception of my plugins and virtual instruments? Anything else I should grab?

thanks in advance,
Acoustica Greg

Re: How to Backup?

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

It depends on whether you added any files that aren't currently inside your project file. If you added a file from your desktop or whatever, it might get lost.

Click on the File menu and select "Copy Project Files to..."

That option grabs all the files that are being used in the project and copies them to a new zip file or folder for easy backup.

If you have alternate takes or extra files that aren't currently being used in the project, you'd have to grab them separately.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Sturdy

Post by Sturdy »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:00 pm It depends on whether you added any files that aren't currently inside your project file. If you added a file from your desktop or whatever, it might get lost.

Click on the File menu and select "Copy Project Files to..."

That option grabs all the files that are being used in the project and copies them to a new zip file or folder for easy backup.

If you have alternate takes or extra files that aren't currently being used in the project, you'd have to grab them separately.

Hi Greg, thanks for the reply and info. The only thing I can think is I sometimes - pretty rare now - drag in some audio drum loops that I keep on a different drive - don't know if they're pulled into the project or not. I'll have to see how they're handled. I think I normally drag them from windows file explorer.

Is there a way to make that the default behavior in settings (where imported audio is automatically stored with the project similar to recorded audio), or is it on a per project basis? (I checked my preferences menu but didn't see an option, but maybe I missed it)

Been having great time recording with Mixcraft past several days. Mixcraft makes it so fast for songwriting and working on parts.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

No, there's no option to automatically do that. You could make a habit of putting all files used in a project into the project folder, or you could just use that "Copy Project Files" option.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101