Glide-Slide-Pitch Tutorial

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Digtialxknife

Glide-Slide-Pitch Tutorial

Post by Digtialxknife »

Im another person looking for a guide on how to glide/slide notes in Mixcraft 9, I see alot of posts about achieving this without plugins using the Pitch effect however I cannot figure out how to do this with text based instruction alone.

Could someone make a quick video tutorial on how to achieve glides/Slides in Mixcraft 9 using the Pitch slider effect?
Guaresneider

Re: Glide-Slide-Pitch Tutorial

Post by Guaresneider »

Digtialxknife wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:23 pm Im another person looking for a guide on how to glide/slide notes in Mixcraft 9, I see alot of posts about achieving this without plugins using the Pitch effect however I cannot figure out how to do this with text based instruction alone.

Could someone make a quick video tutorial on how to achieve glides/Slides in Mixcraft 9 using the Pitch slider effect?
Here's how you can achieve glides/slides in Mixcraft 9 using the Pitch effect:

1. Create a new MIDI track in Mixcraft 9: To create a new MIDI track, go to the "Tracks" menu and select "New MIDI Track".

2. Insert a virtual instrument: On the MIDI track, insert the virtual instrument that you want to use for your glide/slide notes.

3. Record your MIDI notes: Play the virtual instrument and record the MIDI notes that you want to have a glide/slide effect.

4. Apply the Pitch effect: Go to the Effects menu and select "Pitch". Then, drag the Pitch effect onto the MIDI track.

5. Edit the Pitch effect: Open the Pitch effect and adjust the "Pitch Slider" to create a glide/slide effect. You can adjust the speed of the glide/slide by adjusting the "Pitch Slider" envelope.

6. Preview the glide/slide effect: Play the MIDI track to preview the glide/slide effect. If necessary, adjust the Pitch effect further until you achieve the desired effect.

By following these steps, you can create a glide/slide effect for your MIDI notes in Mixcraft 9 using the Pitch effect. Good luck!
Digtialxknife

Post by Digtialxknife »

Hello again thank you for trying to help. I have been using mixcraft for several years however Ive never used Midi tracks, have a midi controller or record anything into Mixcraft other than vocals and guitar. I most commonly ONLY use virtual instrument tracks and I program my notes manually.

I tried to follow your instructions on using a new midi track but I just cant seem to figure that out as I only use virtual instrument tracks. Is this same Pitch effect somehow accessible to just virtual instruments tracts? I could not find any pitch effects for the virtual instruments.

So my goal now is to avoid having to teach myself how to use the Midi system for this one pitch effect and see if I can apply to virtual instruments instead.
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Hi,

Each virtual instrument can be different. Which virtual instrument are you talking about? Since you seem to be talking about slide, is it a stringed instrument like a guitar? Pitch bending (Pitch Wheel) is different than slide, glissando or portamento.
Digtialxknife

Post by Digtialxknife »

Thank you! I am using

Mixcraft 9,
Virtual instrument titled "Three Osc Bass"

Looking to glide/Slide in between manually entered notes <3
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

That's a decent choice. That seems to have a built in portamento or legato. If you just overlay the MIDI notes a little, it will do a slide effect from the first note to the second. This won't work for all virtual instruments, but it does for this one.

3 osc bass.JPG
3 osc bass.JPG (63.08 KiB) Viewed 961 times

Three Osc Bass is pretty good for sliding. Use a brute force method to control the slide. This will work with most virtual instruments but the smoothness depends on the instrument itself. On the MIDI piano roll put chromatic increments up or down that slightly overlap with short durations. In the screen shot, I'm sliding up from C to G then a small slide down to Eb.

bass slide up down.JPG
bass slide up down.JPG (112.87 KiB) Viewed 961 times

I have the snap to grid activated so the increments are super even. You can turn this off to place the slides a little more organically. Also below the piano roll, do you see the velocity lines? Within the slide, you might want to lower the velocities and then on the key notes, raise them a bit so the slide is less emphasized than the main tonality.

Another way which seems to be mentioned, is to use the pitch wheel. That bends the tone up or down, but it's range depends on the synthesizer and how it's set. In most cases, it only bends 2 half steps and doesn't really have that slide effect.

When you are using the MIDI piano roll, choose Pitch Wheel from the drop down menu then draw a curve in the box below it. I used a straight line just rising up in this example.

pitch wheel.JPG
pitch wheel.JPG (66.19 KiB) Viewed 961 times

So the above methods are generic ways that will work more or less with many virtual instruments. Three Osc Bass is actually built using minimogue (an actual virtual synthesizer). Just by slightly overlaying two notes, the glide control on the synth will control the speed of the "glide" between those two notes:
minimogue glide.JPG
minimogue glide.JPG (174.75 KiB) Viewed 956 times
Digtialxknife

Post by Digtialxknife »

Hello again guys, Thank you all for help. Unfortunately I have not been apply to execute either of these options, please watch this video I just made of my attempt and you will probably see where im making the mistakes and how to fix it.

I can seem to get velocity, overlapping notes OR pitch to work on creating a basic slide from note to note.

WATCH THIS VIDEO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWAN_dn3RAw

Can anyone make an actual video tutorial using screen cap software?
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Ok, I went ahead and created a basic tutorial vid. This was straight off the cuff - 1 take. I left out any pitch wheel information as I don't think it is what you are after and plus there are some limiting factors using that.

https://youtu.be/Vr7fi7SSB_8
Digtialxknife

Post by Digtialxknife »

Amazing thank you so much! I am going to walk through these steps tonight and get right back to you. Thanks for making this video!
Digtialxknife

Post by Digtialxknife »

Hello again! Thank you very much for making this video tutorial! This indeed helped me achieve what I wanted to do and it was very effective. I was able to get my slides applied and I feel relieved to finally be able to do this in Mixcraft, Thank you so much for the help! :!: :D