Changing Playback Start Point?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

squeakie

Changing Playback Start Point?

Post by squeakie »

How do I set my playback to start at measure two within a project? I do this in other DAW’s, but haven’t had the need for it in MC until recently.

Thx.
Yamaha MOXF6, Roland Juno-Di, Casio MZX500, Roland RS70, M-Audio Venom, M-Audio Hammer88, Casio PX330, M-Audio Keystation 49 MK3, Yamaha DGX-670 digital piano, Behringer Studio Monitors, MixCraft 9 Pro, Studio One 5, Cakewalk, Zenbeats,
Acoustica Greg

Re: Changing Playback Start Point?

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Why do you want to do that?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

Using some orchestral VST’s when using controllers for expression, volume, ect., to record automation, a few empty measures in the beginning get used for set up. Offsetting the playback start point is an option in some DAWS for this.

Thx!
Yamaha MOXF6, Roland Juno-Di, Casio MZX500, Roland RS70, M-Audio Venom, M-Audio Hammer88, Casio PX330, M-Audio Keystation 49 MK3, Yamaha DGX-670 digital piano, Behringer Studio Monitors, MixCraft 9 Pro, Studio One 5, Cakewalk, Zenbeats,
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

I always do it on a separate track for hardware midi setup. There I put a midi dump for my korg workstation as a clip and then sent it once to my hardware in solo mode to configure everything. Then I didn't have to pay attention to the song starting position. Maybe that works in your case too on a separated track.

Patrick
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You could put a track marker where you want it to start, then hit Ctrl+Space to play the project from the next marker, (or Ctrl+Shift+Space to play from the previous marker).

Greg

Edited to add: or would a playback loop starting at the point you want work?
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Using some orchestral VST’s when using controllers for expression, volume, ect., to record automation, a few empty measures in the beginning get used for set up. Offsetting the playback start point is an option in some DAWS for this.
For my own curiosity, what difference does it make if the song starts on measure 2, 3 - 4 seconds in, 5 seconds in - in the DAW? I would imagine the final mix/mastering would have any open space at the beginning cut from the recording; assuming the mix is saved as a single audio file before mastering. My view of the measure or time display is to understand the cue points and I would generally use markers for those.

But I guess if it's a score from an orchestration, one might want to follow along measure by measure in the DAW so the offset of the start point becomes important so the measures and beats match up to the written music.
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

Track marker should be a good alternative.., thanks Greg.
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

cactus-head wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:57 pm
For my own curiosity, what difference does it make if the song starts on measure 2, 3 - 4 seconds in, 5 seconds in - in the DAW? I would imagine the final mix/mastering would have any open space at the beginning cut from the recording; assuming the mix is saved as a single audio file before mastering. My view of the measure or time display is to understand the cue points and I would generally use markers for those.

But I guess if it's a score from an orchestration, one might want to follow along measure by measure in the DAW so the offset of the start point becomes important so the measures and beats match up to the written music.
You kinda partially answered your question with the last part :D