Increase/Decrease Octave?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

podonnell

Increase/Decrease Octave?

Post by podonnell »

I'm using a MIDI keyboard, playing a high part that goes off the top end of my keyboard. I only have one octave switch on my keyboard, so I'm hoping Mixcraft has a way that I can make the notes come in 12 semitones higher. Is this possible?
jwarv

Re: Increase/Decrease Octave?

Post by jwarv »

Indeed it is. Select the midi clip, click the sound tab, click transpose button, click pitch adjustment 12 semitone points up. Watch the rectangles mooooove!!
podonnell

Post by podonnell »

That certainly helps after I lay down a section. Is there perhaps a way to do it so that what gets read in from my MIDI device is transposed while playing?
Northfield.Lenox

Post by Northfield.Lenox »

OK, don't yell at me, but are you sure about the one octave range on the keyboard? I only ask as last summer I bought an M-Audio Mini 32 MK3 keyboard, and didn't realize for a few days that the + and - octave buttons advanced an octave each time pressed them... kind of embarrassing as the buttons even changed colour for each octave . .
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

On the instrument select page, you can transpose the instrument up 12 semitones to start. You'll play an octave lower on your keyboard but that will also let you switch to an octave higher as you describe - unless Northfield.Lenox hit the nail on the head
podonnell

Post by podonnell »

Thank you both. I could be missing something on my Korg, but I think it's built in to only allow shifting up and down 1 octave. I was going through the manual and I think the only way to go further is with a global adjustment. Kind of just looking to do something on the fly. Will definitely try the bit on the instrument select page.

Edit: Looks like the instrument I was using within Mixcraft has a default -1 octave on it, haha. I was going to say, my keyboard is 71 keys so I thought only one octave was missing. Hence the need to only shift once on the Korg typically. But the software was knocking me down one extra.
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

cactus-head wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:07 pm On the instrument select page, you can transpose the instrument up 12 semitones to start. You'll play an octave lower on your keyboard but that will also let you switch to an octave higher as you describe - unless Northfield.Lenox hit the nail on the head
I didn't realize that. Now I don't have to switch it on my controller. Thanks!
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Yeah, keep that in mind with virtual instruments. Some of them are emulations of specific real-world instruments with inherent limitations, and they all have their own quirks, so if you run across a roadblock, try it with a couple of other virtual instruments to see if it happens across the board.
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101