Mixing midi to Audio question!

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

squeakie

Mixing midi to Audio question!

Post by squeakie »

I’ve been having a go lately with MixCraft 9 Pro for Film/Orchestral work (I typically used Studio One for that, and MC for other work). I am doing extensive work in MC creating Ostinatos, and really focusing a lot on using much of what comes with MC.., except for specific Orchestral libraries. To free up system resources, I always covert midi to audio once I’m happy with the take, basically creating audio clips of the repetitive phrases within the Ostinato. I then copy and paste those audio clips to build the base of the composition. Why after converting to audio, do I get that “audible click” at the start of each pasted clip, sounding like an audio sample where the sample start point is off. I don’t understand why it’s doing this as the part is perfectly locked to the clock prior to converting it. It plays back perfectly as looped midi, but not audio.

Thx!
Yamaha MOXF6, Roland Juno-Di, Casio MZX500, Roland RS70, M-Audio Venom, M-Audio Hammer88, Casio PX330, M-Audio Keystation 49 MK3, Yamaha DGX-670 digital piano, Behringer Studio Monitors, MixCraft 9 Pro, Studio One 5, Cakewalk, Zenbeats,
Acoustica Greg

Re: Mixing midi to Audio question!

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

What steps are you taking to do this?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

I record 4 bars. No precount.., I just press record, and start at measure two, common in film score comps. I then quantize to the clock.., drag the start point of the clip (empty 2bar count), in to start at measure two, then drag the end of the clip in as well. I then convert that midi clip to audio so I can drag, copy/paste where I like. I’m probably doing it wrong. Just used to the workflow of another DAW, but trying to bring MixCraft into my work for this type of music production.

Thx!
Yamaha MOXF6, Roland Juno-Di, Casio MZX500, Roland RS70, M-Audio Venom, M-Audio Hammer88, Casio PX330, M-Audio Keystation 49 MK3, Yamaha DGX-670 digital piano, Behringer Studio Monitors, MixCraft 9 Pro, Studio One 5, Cakewalk, Zenbeats,
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

What steps do you take to convert it to audio?

Greg
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

Right click and select “Mix To New Audio Track”.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If the start or end of a clip happens at an awkward point in a waveform, you might get a pop. One thing to try would be to add micro fades to the clip.

Greg

Micro Fade options on audio tab in Mixcraft 9.
Micro Fade options on audio tab in Mixcraft 9.
mx9tipmicrofadeinfadeout.png (31.88 KiB) Viewed 1784 times
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

Hey Greg.., forgot to tell you the Micro Fade Out feature worked perfectly. No more audio clicks on my midi to audio mix down now.

Thx!
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

squeakie wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:52 pm Hey Greg.., forgot to tell you the Micro Fade Out feature worked perfectly. No more audio clicks on my midi to audio mix down now.

Thx!
Hi,

Thanks for coming back to let us know. Yeah, that's one of the stealth features of Mixcraft 9 that was partially inspired and refined by discussions on these forums.

You can also turn it on automatically for all new tracks in Project preferences if you want.

Greg
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

Had no idea it could be set to auto for all new tracks! Killer.., MC is really working out well now for recording Ostinatos!

Thx!
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

That preference settings only affects new clips after you set it - for existing clips in the project you'd have to set it manually.
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

Got it., thanks so much Greg,