Anyone use Mixcraft for making progressive metal ??

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Tucn26

Anyone use Mixcraft for making progressive metal ??

Post by Tucn26 »

I’ve been a Mixcraft user since 5 but never really recorded full songs I’ve written until a year ago. Just wondering who else uses mixcraft for recording heavy 7-9 string music ???
Tucn26

Re: Anyone use Mixcraft for making progressive metal ??

Post by Tucn26 »

Guess I’m the outcast :)
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

Maybe check with these folks. Unless this is you. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz77y-0vzWw
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Hi,

In the olden days of high-school and university, me and my buddies were into music. We were in various bands, we played gigs with various musicians, we all did solo stuff, we did recordings - in home and in studios. Then life happened, we moved to other parts of the country, jobs, relationships, etc. - all the music stuff was put on hold for years. A few years ago, we decided to try and light the flame of music under ourselves again. Monthly, each one of us would come up with a challenge were we all had to create music of a specific genre, certain instrumentation, maybe songs of specific subject, maybe a seasonal or holiday tune - all kinds of things. Mostly to get us motivated to do something musical and learn (more) about recording and production with in home tools as we go.

My entries have been across a wide gambit from classical, to gnawa style, to salsa, to blues,to r&B, to - wait for it - progressive rockish type stuff. So you're not an outcast if you mean the type of progressive I mean (which is subjective).

When you say 7-9 string music I'm thinking you mean modern metal which has a pretty wide range and I generally don't look at that as rock, let alone progressive per se. For example, Arch Enemy vs Eleine vs The Pretty Reckless - the first two, Metal with 7 to 9 string guitars but different from each other - the third I would call rock. None of them would I call progressive by what I'm used to. There's a band called Jinjer that I see labeled as progressive metal; they're probably closest to what Id consider progressive but I don't know anything about categorizing music.

Sounds like I need a new challenge for me and my buddies!
Tucn26

Post by Tucn26 »

jwarv wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:49 am Maybe check with these folks. Unless this is you. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz77y-0vzWw
That is not me. Here is a link to the first full mixcraft song I've recorded.

https://on.soundcloud.com/Nz3Gp
Tucn26

Post by Tucn26 »

cactus-head wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:40 pm Hi,

In the olden days of high-school and university, me and my buddies were into music. We were in various bands, we played gigs with various musicians, we all did solo stuff, we did recordings - in home and in studios. Then life happened, we moved to other parts of the country, jobs, relationships, etc. - all the music stuff was put on hold for years. A few years ago, we decided to try and light the flame of music under ourselves again. Monthly, each one of us would come up with a challenge were we all had to create music of a specific genre, certain instrumentation, maybe songs of specific subject, maybe a seasonal or holiday tune - all kinds of things. Mostly to get us motivated to do something musical and learn (more) about recording and production with in home tools as we go.

My entries have been across a wide gambit from classical, to gnawa style, to salsa, to blues,to r&B, to - wait for it - progressive rockish type stuff. So you're not an outcast if you mean the type of progressive I mean (which is subjective).

When you say 7-9 string music I'm thinking you mean modern metal which has a pretty wide range and I generally don't look at that as rock, let alone progressive per se. For example, Arch Enemy vs Eleine vs The Pretty Reckless - the first two, Metal with 7 to 9 string guitars but different from each other - the third I would call rock. None of them would I call progressive by what I'm used to. There's a band called Jinjer that I see labeled as progressive metal; they're probably closest to what Id consider progressive but I don't know anything about categorizing music.

Sounds like I need a new challenge for me and my buddies!
You are correct on trying to give a genre to music lol. I'm honestly not sure how to categorize what I've been writing lately, I labeled it "progressive" off of what a few others said to me. There are genres with sub genres of sub genres nowadays.

Jinjer is a great band. Tons of different styles packed into one group.

My description was sort of bland but I just wanted to see if anyone else used Mx9 for recording heavier music etc. I started my music journey as a drummer and switched to guitar. Blues first for a few years and then recently got my first 8 string and went down this rabbit hole lol !