FX repeat after clip in MC9

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

lox

FX repeat after clip in MC9

Post by lox »

I load FXs into my tracks while composing, then I have endless bleed-through loops of just the effects.
For example project can be idle and any given track will have a repetitive audio sound that mirrors the effect that's on the track, like repeating echos or similar.
I can kill it by muting the offending track, but if a clip plays on that track it will do it again.

It's not any one FX, I get it on a variety of reverbs, anything that repeats.

I suspect it's idiocy on my part and a very simple error in my workflow.
I appreciate any practical insights anyone can offer, thx
cactus-head

Re: FX repeat after clip in MC9

Post by cactus-head »

Hi,

Maybe you have noise going through your electronics (the computer itself) or a mic. It may be enough to trigger the delay/reverb effect...

Try adding a noise gate before the delay/reverb type of effect. Try TB Gate which comes out of the box with Mixcraft I believe. If that has an effect and stops the reflections then sound is getting into your channel somehow.

What's an example of the effects you are using and what are its settings?
lox

Post by lox »

I appreciate the reply cactus-head

The issue seems common, I get it a lot, but looking at an affected project right now I think I can narrow it down to a synth track with 3 effects on it, TB Multi FX, Voxengo Boogex Amp Simulator and TB Reverb

What's telling is that I think it's the TB Multi FX that's triggering it here and I use it a lot so maybe the plot thickens ...

I've never used the Voxengo before and the TB Reverb doesn't seem to be triggering the issue

Here is the settings for TB MultiFX:

The obvious next question is, if I need to change the settings to prevent the feedback, then I can't have the effect I want on the track?

It's only rhetorical though, there's no pressure implied :)

It's the feedback setting, in part, that gives me what I want from it, just to mention.

Again, I appreciate your experience and courtesy, thank you

Edit: I failed to respond to your input regarding the machine/mic and possibility of noise in the system, good call but I don't think that's the issue here, I'm pretty sure it's in the DAW, I strongly suspect it's in my non-judicious use of FXs and how they are applied.
I'm not a fan of having to pull them back, since they are set for what I want from them, but since tweaking settings is today's art, I am willing to comply :)
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Does it happen if the track isn't armed? Are you monitoring audio on the track? Does it happen if you don't have "Monitor Audio" selected?

What steps would we take to duplicate the issue? Are you using presets with those effects? Which presets?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
lox

Post by lox »

Hello Greg,

It occurs regardless of armed or monitored, I am not using presets.

My general workflow is to use a sample or loop for rhythm on track 1, then my songs contain from 4 to 10 instrument or vocal tracks, all recorded using actual instruments or mics, the issue generally occurs on my instrument tracks, but that doesn't mean it's strictly limited to those, that's just where I keep getting it.

Let me see if I can construct a scenario that can be replicated, I'll see if I can also maybe record it and link to it, an audio sample may be worth a thousand words.

It's sometimes amusing, it often forms perfect replicas of simple words, like a 2 word phrase, but it's not amusing enough for me to want it to stick around.

I also have cactus-head's input regarding using a gate to explore, though it makes more sense to me to gate it after.
I want the sound I'm getting, which does feedback, I just want it to stop after the clip uses it.

~brian
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You could submit an Acoustica Support Request and attach an example project file.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

I'm also not following completely, but just another thing to try. Volume automation; drop the volume to zero after the last clip?
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member

Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 8 gig RAM; Mixcraft 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro Studio; Win 11 Pro

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
lox

Post by lox »

I appreciate the input Trevor, that is an intuitive and logical thought process, and the first thing I tried, but the issue still persists.

I'm hoping to spend a little time with it tonight and give you guys more to go on.
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Hi,

It's the TB MultiFX. I can produce the situation you describe. I'll mess around and se what setting it is.

[Edit]

Turn the Compress setting down below 50% on TB MultiFX. It shouldn't affect the delay too much (maybe a bit of the echoiness) but will affect the residual delay after the sound has stopped. The higher the Compress is, the longer the residual delay will remain. If you turn down the Compress to say 25% or lower, up the Wet Out a bit.

One thing I noticed: If I've stopped playing my tracks and the delay has stopped with the lower compress setting, if I turn the compress back up to 100%, wait for maybe a minute, the delay starts sounding again. This seems to be a bug in the plugin or some kind of weird memory thing. I tried it both on MIDI tracks and Audio so it doesn't seem due to noise from the computer. It seems to suggest that the plugin never stops it's processing. I wonder if other plugins behave this same way.
lox

Post by lox »

I was originally thinking that the forum would help, but that it would be more like 'you old, feeble, dip s**t' just do this ....'

But it looks more like maybe this 1 out of 1,000 issues I run into everyday is based somewhere outside of my corporeal self, hallelujah

I will try what you suggest here in a bit and let you know, it sounds like you've recreated it, it's unmistakable

In the meantime I was just getting into it on my end, opened the offending track in MC9, from last night, clicked play and it didn't happen, not a lick, which seems like applicable data

Next thing I did was play the last WAV file I logged at the end of my session last night, to confirm it was there, which I knew it was, and it's in there

My usual MO is recording for hours, maybe it builds up somehow *shrugs

I don't like publishing music that sounds bad, but for this exercise I'm going to post that WAV file over night so cactus-head can confirm that it's the same issue, I am however going to disclaim the quality of the tune, it's in sketch phase and no where near ready for people to actually listen to

I actually like the first vocal verse, but everything from 1:53 forward is garbage and needs to be fixed, there is an awful dissonant note from 2:55 to 3:12 that's embarrassing, from there forward you can hear the issue, it's tail lasts well after the music fades.
You can actually hear it throughout, but it's in the background
Ideally just listen from 3:12 out, thx

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14563376
lox

Post by lox »

This is tricky to correlate, like I said my first play of the MC9 track didn't do it, so changing settings isn't going to yield a tangible result until it does it again

I've tried a playing it a few times and the issue doesn't occur

I'll see if I can keep the system busy for a bit and see what it does, with compressor on 100%
lox

Post by lox »

I played that track a dozen times or more, trying to keep it busy by shuffling the playback point, but I didn't punch in and out as normal

I also turned the mic on, just in case it was somehow bleeding through, I got nothing, even at the tail of the track

I'm hoping to spend some quality time in the studio over the weekend, I'll keep poking at it

I'm grateful for the input, thank you for trying to help someone you don't know, that by itself is pretty cool, much respect
hpharley90

Post by hpharley90 »

people always willing to help here. no matter who.
10.5 Pro studio build 596
Dell XPS i7-10700 2.9Ghz
48 GB RAM
Windows 10
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Hi,

I created a quick video of what I think you are describing as the problem. I listened to your test and hear a similar effect that matches your description.

TB MultiFX Residual Delay Loops Forever?

I made this video for two reasons:

1. To Confirm that this is happening
2. To get used to using Mixcraft's video editor. :D
gaffster

Post by gaffster »

cactus-head wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:35 pm Hi,

I created a quick video of what I think you are describing as the problem. I listened to your test and hear a similar effect that matches your description.

TB MultiFX Residual Delay Loops Forever?

I made this video for two reasons:

1. To Confirm that this is happening
2. To get used to using Mixcraft's video editor. :D
That's helpful, c-h. Positive feedback loop, no doubt. A perpetual motion machine, LOL.