FX repeat after clip in MC9

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

lox

Re: FX repeat after clip in MC9

Post by lox »

I'm incredibly grateful for your efforts cactus-head and I recreated exactly what you did with identical results

Edit: It's not just the tape echoes that have a similar anomaly, using the compression knob I can get it it to happen in many of the presets

Simple Echo - change compression from 0 default to 50%
Mono Phaser - change compression from 0 default to 50% (and stand back)
Stereo Phaser - same as above
Ping Pong echo - change compressor from 0 default to 50%
Tape Echo and Tape Echo Cross-wired - both do it at default
Dreadful - does it default
Sea sickness - does it default, to a lesser degree
Distortion-Unstable - change compression from 0 default to 50%
Flanger-Electric Guitar - change compression from 0 default to 50%
Flanger-Guitar Wah Slow - change compression from 0 default 0 to 50% (and it says 'apples' infinitely)
Flanger-Warm - change compression from 0 default to 50% (and aliens will visit, permanently)

There are a few presets that feature a lot of echo yet don't have any of the endless repeat, like 'Fading memories' which by design repeats after the fact, yet it fades away exactly like I would like the others to, even with compressor taken from 50% default to 100%
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Hmmmm.. I'll have to check out fading memories and see what the difference is.
lox

Post by lox »

Figured you would

Hopefully the thread title guides one, maybe two, here and answers the question, I have an expression 'i love to find the problem', it's so much better than the alternative

In this case, you found it and that's a practical parameter to work with, it's a pretty easy work around

I don't think it warrants any hard changes, just soft ones

I'm having a nice night composing and not having apples floating about, thank you cactus-head
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

gaffster wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:56 pm

That's helpful, c-h. Positive feedback loop, no doubt. A perpetual motion machine, LOL.
Gaffster nailed it. It's a feedback loop. Upping the feedback in combination with the Compress creates the perpetual bounce.

And I could see where you might want it. You could have a small phrase or chord or something play once and have the loop run until the end of your song turning the effect on and off with automation. For example automate gain or wet out of the plugin etc.