MULTI-INPUT INTERFACE COMPATIBILITY

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Jammer862

MULTI-INPUT INTERFACE COMPATIBILITY

Post by Jammer862 »

Hello All,

I have looked through the INTERFACE search for some ideas on how to support more than 2-track inputs to Mixcraft 9 PRO. Early on, I used a Mackie Satellite and it had only 2 input/output interface ports (Firewire) and worked good. The Mackie became old and developed a hum. I purchased a Yamaha MG10XU as a replacement (USB-3.0) and found only 1 input would work and no chance for playback. Per a member's suggestion I purchased a Behringer hardware interface to enable playback. It was clumsy and I fought having to use that switch each time I need to edit/dub/overwrite a track edit. I gave up on that and ended up repairing the Mackie (CB Solder) and now run the Yam thru the Mackie putting 8 into 2.

On a different PC, I loaded the Steinberg Cubase and connected the YAM to it via USB3.0. I immediately got 8 inputs (assignable for recording! It seems it might be a software/driver issue, but it is important to me. Normally, when recording its just me and 1 instrument. REPLAY and record the next track. Now I want to expand the concept and get more per recording pass. (Like signing and playing keyboards or a bass line)

Maybe my expectations/usage of the product is not the same as everyone else's. (1) I want to preset up to 4-6 mics/different instruments so when I switch back and forth I don't need to use my cheat sheet to redo all the settings. (2) I want to have up to 3-4 friends over and record each person's instrument/voice to a track for editing and effects. If Cubase can do this, why not Mixcraft!

Just asking for a reason to limit the # of hardware interfaces needed to utilize the multi-track options Yeah I am old. Started at 14 and I am now just a few years younger than dirt! 69 in 2023.
Play on!
TrevsAudio

Re: MULTI-INPUT INTERFACE COMPATIBILITY

Post by TrevsAudio »

Hi!

The number of inputs Mixcraft will recognize is dependent on the interface plugged into the computer. So if you have a 2-channel interface, it will only recognize two channels or tracks. Inputting more mics/instruments into that interface will not change that.

What you need is an interface with the desired number of inputs for the number of tracks you require.

Have a look at the Focusrite Scarlett range - I only recommend this because I have used their products for many years and know them to be very popular in the recording world. Something like an 8i8 for example would have 8 inputs for 8 separate tracks in the DAW.

Hope this helps! :D
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SSF i3, 32gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite 2i2; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
gaffster

Post by gaffster »

If everyone will be playing together, don't forget the headphone mix for 4 as well, unless you plan on speaker/monitors and with open microphones that'll be a mess with track bleed and possible feedback. Multi-track live recording is challenging even for the pros. I would avoid live mics if possible and dub those tracks in later. If just recording one player at a time, then the multi-channel interface saves you the input cable swapping which to me is not worth the cost.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

To record multiple inputs simultaneously:

1. Make sure you've downloaded the latest driver from the manufacturer's web page.
2. Go into Mixcraft's Sound Device preferences and choose ASIO mode
3. Choose the audio interface's ASIO driver in the ASIO Device setting.
4. When you're ready to record, click on the small arrow next to the Arm button on an audio track:
- Arming option 1 on the left gives you input 1.
- Arming option 1 on the right gives you input 2.
- Option 2 on the left is input 3.
- Option 2 on the right is input 4.
- And so on...

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101