Another one finished

Use this forum to show off any audio delights you've created with Mixcraft!

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Tucn26

Another one finished

Post by Tucn26 »

I may redo the solo, I'm not sure yet. Anyway here is another song done in Mixcraft.

https://soundcloud.com/tucn26/crb-color ... al_sharing
cactus-head

Re: Another one finished

Post by cactus-head »

This sounds pretty good through headphones. I can hear the nuances of changes and the runs pretty well. You've got some interesting musicality and uses of rhythm in there.

I'm not sure if you mix everything through headphones but if so, you might want to listen in open air with some monitors to get a different perspective. The mix or the mastering is still a bit thin for this genre.
Tucn26

Post by Tucn26 »

I appreciate the feedback ! I've only volume adjusted my songs as of now with some panning left/right tricks, delay on a couple parts and but trying to adjust the sections to be as close volume wise as possible. There are no mastering plugins on this right now.

Eveyrthing youre hearing is my tones as I recorded them. I'm using Neural for guitar, djinn bass for bass (programmed) and MT power kit for drums. I plan to try and start messing around with getting everything "mastered" as soon as I get time from work.
Tucn26

Post by Tucn26 »

cactus-head wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:55 am This sounds pretty good through headphones. I can hear the nuances of changes and the runs pretty well. You've got some interesting musicality and uses of rhythm in there.

I'm not sure if you mix everything through headphones but if so, you might want to listen in open air with some monitors to get a different perspective. The mix or the mastering is still a bit thin for this genre.
I'm definitely going to use the things youve told me once I start learning the process of mastering the songs ! I do appreciate it !
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Awesome!

There are some guys on these forums that really know what their doing mastering and mixing-wise. So you may want to ask some questions. I'm still learning myself. Some people are at the point where they can hear a mix and instantly say "oh, frequency such and such has too much blah blah blah. You're gonna want to compress - such and such and boost the range yadda yadda..."

Me, I listen to things over and over trying to figure things out rotating between three mediums:

1. Open back headphones - gives a decent sense of what the general listener will hear
2. Closed Back Headphones with a flat/neutral response - can really focus on the frequencies and the instruments
3. Monitors - can't beat listening in the open air. If you have bad acoustics or good acoustics it will still give you information you need for your sound. It's best to try and have the best acoustical setting but not always possible if space and cash are factors.

There's always that nugget: "Listen to your mix in the car..." that will give you some insight into your sound. So far I've had one or two mixes/masters that sounded like mud under a blanket in my car! It actually helped me to zero in on what I thought I was hearing - and most of the time now, my mixes sound at least passable.
...using Neural...
The CabSim on that should allow you to load your own Impulse Responses(IR).

Check out SpectreSoundStudios free give away IR. It's another tool or option you can add to your arsenal. An IR is a digital capture of the "essence" of an environment. Can be a speaker, a room, a chamber etc. In this case a speaker and cabinet combination micced a certain way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzXEUMBeVAI
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Largely agree with @cactus-head

The issue of fighting frequencies is often presented in separating the kick and bass for definition.
With the caveat that @Tucn26's genre is "out of my wheelhouse" I would opine that in general, given the examples I listened to- the snare is extremely prominent. As are the cymbals. The bass/kick and even toms or other low frequencies range from barely there, to not there at all.
The result being heavily mid-rangy guitar, snare and cymbal- then everything else. The examples varied somewhat in severity, but even the better balanced mix showed this tendency.

This could be the result of monitoring. And/or mix referencing.
The tip on referencing in a known environment, such as your car is good. I would add that putting a reference track of similar commercial content between two tracks of your own mixing effort can be a good learning experience.
Play it a number of times, not just once. I find the more times I do that, the more obvious the changes needed become. I take notes, tweak and repeat.
Generally: Ideally, your mix should come close enough IMO that mastering is really about setting levels between tracks on an EP or overall perceived loudness. Maybe a subtle EQ tweak. The less adjustment to any of the above- the better.
In other words- Mastering is polish, not the paint.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page