Waves Plugins Goes Full Subscription (Creative Access)

Discussions of VST and VST3 plugins for Mixcraft users.

Moderators: Acoustica Eric, rsaintjohn

ADM

Waves Plugins Goes Full Subscription (Creative Access)

Post by ADM »

Just Wondered what y'all think about this?... I think I'm out R.I.P. Waves! :(
hpharley90

Re: Waves Plugins Goes Full Subscription (Creative Access)

Post by hpharley90 »

What does that mean?
10.5 Pro studio build 596
Dell XPS i7-10700 2.9Ghz
48 GB RAM
Windows 10
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Initial reaction, as I am not yet quite sure where they are going with this-

*Caveat- I use Waves plug-ins, and several are go-to favorites.

The two greatest weaknesses they have had IMO are the installation/folder/system madness they have consistently implemented that leads to constant frustration in simply. making. them, work. consistently.
(Just when you think you have it sorted- they do stuff like this.)
And it seems especially problematic in non-upper tier mainstream DAW platforms.

Second being the STUPID presentations of update subscriptions just to keep up to date on plug-ins that have been purchased. Even if there is no significant (or any) update or improvement. This has always bugged me.

I have read and re-read the latest news and my initial impression is that it doesn't fix the bad points, just adds to them.
The hobbyist and typical home studio producer isn't going to go for this.

Me personally, I avoid subscription services like the plague.

At best, given my interpretation of the news- I will use what I have until it ages out and migrate elsewhere.
Maybe I am wrong. Time will tell. But from what i am seeing- it is sayonara small guy.

In summary- I will not pay an additional expense for a product I have already purchased.
Upgrade? Maybe.
Update- Generally, I'm out.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

My $.02

AI is going to be a software developers worst nightmare, it won't be long before you type in what you want and you'll have it. Though that may be a subscription service too! :mrgreen:

I can also see the old days of pirating coming back big time, hackers don't like companies that screw over most of their customers.

Good luck Waves, you'll need it.

M
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I just had an exchange with a rep.

Yeah, looks like they ae banking their future on subscriptions. With assurances that the large investment I have made so far will still work as it has.
Which hasn't exactly been trouble free....

I'll see how this goes, but future sales potential? Slim chance.
Really annoying. But there's plenty of other potential replacements.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Rolling Estonian

I've been reading some of the FB comments, of which there are MANY and people are pissed! They're thinking that this will blow over and people will forget about it and go on to buy subscriptions, doesn't look that way right now. Like you said MB, there's SO many other options out there that are as good if not better that can be had for lower cost or even free.

Adobe went to a subscription model for Lightroom, Photoshop and their suite of programs but it's a different situation as they're Adobe and they're competition isn't nearly as threatening to them as Waves competitiors are to them, plus it's a very reasonable cost with several different tiers and options for users to choose from.

As I've said, I think software developers are realizing with AI coming they need to move fast to maximize profits before their products become more or less obsolete.

I'm not seeing a rosy future for Waves with this decision. Blowback has been pretty severe so you never know, they could reverse course but I doubt it.

M
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I am hearing and reading consistent "severe blowback" responses from every source I have seen. 100% bad response.

Personally, their WUP was insulting enough, a monthly fee to use their product isn't going to happen here.
It seems they have just shunned the hobbyist/small studio market in one fell swoop.

Yes, they may backtrack and offer individual title sales again- but I suspect a lot of damage has happened already.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Rolling Estonian

At $15 or $25 a month to have access to a bunch of plugins that most will never use. And when your subscription lapses, too bad, it really is insulting. I have a feeling that you'll be seeing their entire catalog available for free with an easy to download installer in 3.... 2....

M
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

Yeah I got my email yesterday. Absolutely fuming! Especially after they were running those promos offering plugins @$29 and three for two deals....knowing full well that they were going to screw customers over with this scam once they'd bought all those plug-ins.

No consideration for those (like me) who are just happy with the few that I bought. What makes it worse that a couple of mine are only available in the Ultimate package, so I would have to pay $25 per month just for a couple of plugins.

Ridiculous.
i7-10700K 8Core @3.80 GHz, 128GB- 5TB NVMe+3TB SSD (Int) 4TB SSD (Ext)- Samsung 24"x3 Mon- PreSonus Studio 1810c+Eris E5 XT+Atom SQ- Yamaha Montage 7- AKG D5- Win 11 Pro- MX10 Pro- EastWest- Roland Cloud- KORG 4- Spitfire Audio- Heavyocity- 8Dio- NI
ADM

Post by ADM »

Rolling Estonian wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:11 am At $15 or $25 a month to have access to a bunch of plugins that most will never use. And when your subscription lapses, too bad, it really is insulting. I have a feeling that you'll be seeing their entire catalog available for free with an easy to download installer in 3.... 2....

M
Absolutely lol 😆
ADM

Post by ADM »

According to Waves T&Cs if you own some Waves plugins and then sign up for the subscription, all the plugins you own (bought with your hard earned cash) are all automatically updated to the newest version...I think it's up to V14 right now...

This means that if you decide a few months down the line to cancel your Waves subscription, then ALL the plugins will no longer work...including the ones you had previously bought...essentially it looks like Waves just takes them back!

Crazy stuff!!
Last edited by ADM on Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rolling Estonian

It is crazy! It does look like they'll offer some sort of better offer for owners. Another dynamic about the story is that the Mac folks are the ones dropping the hammer because with each new major update Waves won't work. So there's got to be a compromise with their upgrade and subscription models. I mean if I could see that, clearly someone in the boardroom would have too.....

It's a cash grab until Software developers are pretty much gone because of AI, it's not going to be long.

M
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

I'd heard good things about Waves, but after dealing with their terrible register/install process, wrote them off. If I hadn't, this would do it. With the possible exception of using it as a "try before you buy" process for otherwise much more expensive things (like orchestral libraries), IMO a software "subscription" - i.e. "renting" software - is one of the dumbest ideas ever IMO and I will never do it.
Bronzeage

Post by Bronzeage »

I've let all my Waves plugins sink to the bottom of the ocean, principals and all that.
Plenty of other very good plugins I can draw on.
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

Ha ha....looks like they've done a 360 and are reverting back to the original perpetual licences alongside the subscription packages. Had my grovelling email from the CEO saying they got it wrong blah, blah, blah!

Another victory for the good old consumer!
i7-10700K 8Core @3.80 GHz, 128GB- 5TB NVMe+3TB SSD (Int) 4TB SSD (Ext)- Samsung 24"x3 Mon- PreSonus Studio 1810c+Eris E5 XT+Atom SQ- Yamaha Montage 7- AKG D5- Win 11 Pro- MX10 Pro- EastWest- Roland Cloud- KORG 4- Spitfire Audio- Heavyocity- 8Dio- NI