Record multiple inputs on separate tracks?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

jcameron99

Record multiple inputs on separate tracks?

Post by jcameron99 »

I must be missing something. I just watched a video with Cameron mixing down a session. There were multiple drum tracks. (snare, toms, kick, etc) How were the drums recorded? As far as I'm aware, I can only record one input at a time.

Jam On,
Jim
TrevsAudio

Re: Record multiple inputs on separate tracks?

Post by TrevsAudio »

First check Preferences>Recording, and then about halfway down select Allow Duplicate Recording Inputs.
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If you have an audio interface that allows for multi-track recording, go into Mixcraft's Sound Device preferences and select ASIO mode.

Click on the small arrow next to the Arm button on an audio track:
Arming option 1 on the left gives you input 1.
Arming option 1 on the right gives you input 2.
Option 2 on the left is input 3.
Option 2 on the right is input 4.
And so on...

This assumes your sound device offers that option.

The setting Trevor mentioned is if you want to record the same thing on two tracks at once.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
jcameron99

Post by jcameron99 »

Thanks guys. I wondered what those other inputs were for. I'll have to print this because I know I won't remember this 10 minutes from now. Plus, the music room in on a different computer.

What are some of the multi-track interfaces that are AFFORDABLE? I'm a drummer and this has been a concern of mine.

Jam On,
Jim
Sturdy

Post by Sturdy »

Don't know how many inputs you need, but I have a Presonous 68c and _think_ it'll give 4 simultaneous analog inputs. (Haven't tried to record all 4 at once, but the inputs all show in mixcraft). I like the interface and the mic pres seem good quality to me with good amounts of clean gain. I think Presonus makes some other interfaces with more inputs that are on the more inexpensive side of the sprectrum.
jcameron99

Post by jcameron99 »

Thanks Sturdy. But I'm going to need 8 tracks. I'll check out Personous. Everything I've seen so far is $400 -$500.

Jam On,
Jim
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

I use Presonus Audiobox 1818vsl. Love it. I've recorded a whole drum set, which I don't do very often, but also a live band including 2 vocals, 1 guitar, 1 bass, 2 mics on drums.

Not cheap new, but there are used ones out there. And, I'm not sure, but I think it is a legacy product.
https://en.audiofanzine.com/usb-interfa ... /pictures/
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

jcameron99 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:16 pm Thanks Sturdy. But I'm going to need 8 tracks. I'll check out Personous. Everything I've seen so far is $400 -$500.
I suspect it would be hard to find a quality interface with 8+ in's at or below that price point. Might take some searching, but maybe used. (Honestly, I haven't seen many real deals on used gear in some time. Everyone seems to think it's worth new or near new prices.)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
jcameron99

Post by jcameron99 »

Thanks. I think I'm going to go with the used PerSonus 1818vsl. I see enough of them at a decent price.

Jam On,
Jim
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

jcameron99 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:53 pm Thanks. I think I'm going to go with the used PerSonus 1818vsl. I see enough of them at a decent price.
Cool. If you do, make sure you go to Presonus support and download the latest drivers.
jcameron99

Post by jcameron99 »

jwarv wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:50 am
jcameron99 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:53 pm Thanks. I think I'm going to go with the used PerSonus 1818vsl. I see enough of them at a decent price.
Cool. If you do, make sure you go to Presonus support and download the latest drivers.
Yeah, I learned my lesson on drivers. But a reminder never hurts.

Jam On,
Jim
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

Hi,

Just curious how this worked out for you.

Jason
jcameron99

Post by jcameron99 »

Just curious how this worked out for you.

Jason

To be honest, when we decided to sell our townhouse everything was put on hold. Now I'm looking at the Berringer Euphoria. A new one is in my price range. I've seen people buying things secondhand and complaints about the software not working or they can't find it online.

Jam On,
Jim
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

jcameron99 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:05 pm Just curious how this worked out for you.

Jason

To be honest, when we decided to sell our townhouse everything was put on hold. Now I'm looking at the Berringer Euphoria. A new one is in my price range. I've seen people buying things secondhand and complaints about the software not working or they can't find it online.
Understandable.

Thanks for the reply. :)
DavidMcKnight

Post by DavidMcKnight »

jcameron99 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:16 pm Thanks Sturdy. But I'm going to need 8 tracks. I'll check out Personous. Everything I've seen so far is $400 -$500.
I run a Behringer U-Phoria 1820 and it works well. I've recorded live drums in various configurations and have been pleased. Software gets updated every so often so no issues there. I'm on Windows 10 64 bit.
Now, could I tell the sonic difference between that and something that costs 5x as much? Probably, but it's fine for my spare bedroom studio work.
MX 9 Pro, 64-bit. DIY PC w/ i5, Gigabyte Mobo, 16GB, Windows 10. DIY desk from HomeStudioGuy. Behringer 1820. M-Audio LX-4 monitors. Dyna-Bass 5-string. Strat w EMGs. Seagull acoustic. R0de NT1-A, Behringer C2. M-Audio controller. 27 miles of cable.