Mixcraft Suggestions!

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

mixyguy2

Re: Mixcraft Suggestions!

Post by mixyguy2 »

cactus-head wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:23 pm Did you know if you drag the VST or VST3 from a folder onto mixcraft that it will automatically add it right there and then?
I did not, thanks for that! But what if a VST has multiple files (not just a DLL)? Can I grab them all at once and drop them in, or should they all be in a folder and drag the folder?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

No, only the actual VST file that would be installed into a VST folder.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

Hi Greg, not sure I follow "the VST file." You mean the DLL? If so, then that means the drag n drop only works if your plugin is a single DLL file? Or can I place the other files in my VST folder and then drag the DLL and it works?
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

mixyguy2 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:31 pm Hi Greg, not sure I follow "the VST file." You mean the DLL? If so, then that means the drag n drop only works if your plugin is a single DLL file? Or can I place the other files in my VST folder and then drag the DLL and it works?
Surely the dll file will reference whatever it needs to so I don't see how that would be an issue
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Let's start with the newer VST3 standard. All VST3 plugins have a file extension of ".VST3" and they are all supposed to go into one folder:

\Program Files\Common Files\VST3

Older VST plugin types end in DLL, but so do all sorts of other files that are not audio plugin files. If you set Mixcraft to search a general folder like "\Program Files" for VST audio plugins, it will likely have to sift through thousands upon thousands of DLL files that are not audio plugin files to find the actual VST audio plugin files.

That means it's better to only have Mixcraft's plugin search look in folders with "VST" in the pathname, like "C:\Program Files\VST" or "C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins." Unfortunately there was no standard folder for older VST formats, and different plugin makers put them in different VST folders.

Further complicating matters is that complex plugins often have both VST DLL files and non-VST DLL files.

Dragging and dropping an audio plugin into Mixcraft just adds the folder that the DLL file is located in to the list of folders Mixcraft searches for plugins. This list can be found in Plug-Ins preferences under "Edit VST/VSTi Folders."

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
GregRBand

Post by GregRBand »

Ok, I'm back from my silly previous ask here.

Here are a few quick suggestions in my return to Mixcraft after some time away.

-Ableton like Capture Midi feature, very useful and takes away the red light syndrome, and some cool catches of experimenting.

-Submit complete multi level midi mapping to Nectar Tech for LX+ controllers since they seem to be the only ones with Mixcraft programming I've found (just not complete for all the features and functions).

-Better or more mapped out (PDF?) of Launchpad Mk2 functionality in MIxcraft. Love that this is there btw!!!! Super happy to plug and figure out play around with it.

-Performance mode menu/options expanded (Ableton like clip controls, programs, run counts, etc)

-Maybe more genre demo songs to check out/learn from/study.... and maybe some type of tutorials in action type offerings/interactive (building upon the already awesome Mixcraft University tutorials, love that). Maybe featured artist/users submissions, songs, skills, tips, etc.

-Mixing/Mastering mode/button that changes Mixcraft into focused features and layout (think Presonus Mastering Page/Album/song organization, Cakewalk modes, Harrison Mixbus Mixer page with VU meters, glueing controls, modes, levels/formats, etc)

-some kind of format idea for Reason Rack plugin formatted within Mixcraft somehow. Not sure what I mean, but instead of a plugin window as usual, maybe a set screen real estate/box within Mixcraft? if that makes sense. An extra level of connection and feature set more directly??? Maybe I'm way off on out of box there.

-chord/note/midi/scale tool for help figuring out what to try for non music theory people.

-Always thought the Paint tool was kind of cool feature in FL Studio. Plugin thumbnails list too! Menu sorting also. IE Compressors, Reverbs, Favorites, etc.

-A step sequencer focus window/tool that can also be integrated with midi controller if able (thinking step flashing drum pads on most midi controllers) ability to press to set patterns real quick, no mouse. (probably most realistic with Nectar controllers and their Mixcraft integration, but could be others too I'd think). Arturia Beatstep IE?

Maybe Mixcraft Pro Studio already does some/all of these things and I just havent figured it out yet.
Theres my wishlist in my new back mode to contribute to its already greatness. :)
clavguy

Post by clavguy »

Well here's my suggestion for Mixcraft 10...
You guys should take a look at Cubase 12's MIDI Rmeote. If Mixcraft had such a feature we could use any old MIDI controller on Mixcraft.

Thanks
Pierre
GregRBand

Post by GregRBand »

clavguy wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:03 am Well here's my suggestion for Mixcraft 10...
You guys should take a look at Cubase 12's MIDI Rmeote. If Mixcraft had such a feature we could use any old MIDI controller on Mixcraft.

Thanks
Pierre
Hey there. Isn't this already possible using the midi learn function in Mixcraft? I've not setup a complete controller, but did try to do some basics on a Novation Launchkey, and it seemed to work mostly ok for what I tried. Since its Ableton purposed, I was both surprised some things worked, and also wished it was a native pre-formatted mapping for Mixcraft.

I was going to sell my Nectar LX+ as I was on Mac with Mostly Ableton, but now I'm back to Windows and Mixcraft happily was waiting for me there!
Since Nectar offers Mixcraft mapping, I think I'll switch them out, maybe sell the LaunchKey now, lol
GregRBand

Post by GregRBand »

GregRBand wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 4:50 pm
clavguy wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:03 am Well here's my suggestion for Mixcraft 10...

Thanks
Pierre
Hey there. Isn't this already possible using the midi learn function in Mixcraft? I've not setup a complete controller, but did try to do some basics on a Novation Launchkey, and it seemed to work mostly ok for what I tried. Since its Ableton purposed, I was both surprised some things worked, and also wished it was a native pre-formatted mapping for Mixcraft.

I was going to sell my Nektar LX+ as I was on Mac with Mostly Ableton, but now I'm back to Windows and Mixcraft happily was waiting for me there!
Since Nektar offers Mixcraft mapping, I think I'll switch them out, maybe sell the LaunchKey now, lol
Update on the LX+ I mentioned above. Yes Nektar has some Mixcraft mapping avail, but its pretty basic for my Mixcraft Pro Studio 9. I found issues trying to midi learn alternate functions (Shift key functions), was super bummed that the AWESOME Nektar LX+ Instrument Mode didn't seem to work automatically like in other daws to plugin parameters, and "Clips" and "Scenes" buttons are not avail for midi learn to Mixcraft Performance Clips Mode (Ableton like section). On the plus side, It seemed to work ok in "Mix" mode with the LX+ fader control, track focus fwd/bkwd, Loop, and the basic transport play stop rec. For the record I have not tried the user mode or presets mode yet. I didn't look at everything late last night, but I was left with a mix of cool, and eh after poking around. It could be way better with a little evolution and colab between Acoustica and Nektar imo. Hint Hint Team :)
clavguy

Post by clavguy »

GregRBand wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 4:50 pm Hey there. Isn't this already possible using the midi learn function in Mixcraft? I've not setup a complete controller, but did try to do some basics on a Novation Launchkey, and it seemed to work mostly ok for what I tried. Since its Ableton purposed, I was both surprised some things worked, and also wished it was a native pre-formatted mapping for Mixcraft.
Hi GregR,
MIDI Remote in Cubase is not at all like the MIDI learn function in Mixcraft. I was able to "make" and use a working version of my Novation LaunchControlXl with MDI Remote
If you don't have Cubase 12, check out this YouTube video by Dom Sigalas. It's 24 minutes but it's worth the watch as to what can be done with MIDI Remote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1ocxUbeXJE

Thanks
Pierre
GregRBand

Post by GregRBand »

clavguy wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:03 pm
GregRBand wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 4:50 pm Hey there. Isn't this already possible using the midi learn function in Mixcraft? I've not setup a complete controller, but did try to do some basics on a Novation Launchkey, and it seemed to work mostly ok for what I tried. Since its Ableton purposed, I was both surprised some things worked, and also wished it was a native pre-formatted mapping for Mixcraft.
Hi GregR,
MIDI Remote in Cubase is not at all like the MIDI learn function in Mixcraft. I was able to "make" and use a working version of my Novation LaunchControlXl with MDI Remote
If you don't have Cubase 12, check out this YouTube video by Dom Sigalas. It's 24 minutes but it's worth the watch as to what can be done with MIDI Remote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1ocxUbeXJE

Thanks
Pierre
Hello Pierre, thanks for reply, info, and link. Wow, that is pretty cool for sure. I see what you mean now. A whole new way to configure mapping. I do also like that right click midi learn menu in Mixcraft too though. very helpful.
clavguy

Post by clavguy »

GregRBand wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:51 pm I do also like that right click midi learn menu in Mixcraft too though. very helpful.
Right click midi learn menu in Mixcraft????
GregRBand

Post by GregRBand »

clavguy wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 11:34 am
GregRBand wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:51 pm I do also like that right click midi learn menu in Mixcraft too though. very helpful.
Right click midi learn menu in Mixcraft????
Oh, I thought you mentioned it. I learned of it somewhere recently.... Right Click the Midi button in Mixcraft menu, opens a "Control Surface/Midi Learn" window instead of left click highlighting Mixcraft features! Very useful.
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

I suggest you provide a roadmap to keep users happy between the releases and see where the future is headed.

I am also a developer and for our customers we use voting based on the suggestions with the roadmap attached.

Many users also decide to wait for a feature. The main thing is that you can see what is planned for the next few years. And you can see what the developers have thought about.

The customers are extremely satisfied with it, even if the desired feature is only planned for a later date.

As a development team, you still retain control because you decide what goes into the voting and when which feature comes onto the timeline and which features have to wait indefinitely.

Best regards
Patrick
lordmullin

Post by lordmullin »

Hi Dan, Greg, Eric - not sure if this has already been done, but this is about cutting or splitting a track.
Timing is crucial, so when I stop playback with spacebar, that is EXACTLY where I want to split the track.
However, it seems I have to go in with the mouse and click as near as dammit to where to the cursor has stopped, in order to place that little yellow vertical line - then I hit CTRL-T.
Is there a 'split track at cursor point' option - maybe I just can't see it (!)
(Snap is off.)
mixcrftscreentrim.jpg
mixcrftscreentrim.jpg (87.43 KiB) Viewed 242814 times
Thanks,
Tim.
Mixcraft 9 build 469
Win10 64-bit, Intel i7, 8Gb RAM, Behringer UMC204HD