Babyface Pro FS settings for recording

Use this forum to discuss preamps, guitars, microphones, mixers, drums, turntables, keyboards and recording equipment in general.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

timurovec

Babyface Pro FS settings for recording

Post by timurovec »

How can I setup in and out preferences of Mixcraft to record and monitoring the sound via Babyface Pro? I use input 3 for guitar and 3.5 phones input but I use PC speakers instead headphones and I don't hear any sound.
Acoustica Greg

Re: Babyface Pro FS settings for recording

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Go to their web page to download and install the latest Windows driver for the Babyface Pro: https://www.rme-audio.de/babyface-pro-fs.html

If you're using ASIO, you'll need to attach headphones to it in order to hear playback. Check your settings in Mixcraft's Sound Device preferences.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
timurovec

Post by timurovec »

I use their driver and I put ASIO in preferences in Mixcraft, but I have no an option to use headpones' output there.
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

You plug your headphones into the interface.

M
timurovec

Post by timurovec »

Nope, I plugged speakers in headphones' input. And I have a sound while I play something on my computer but it doesn't work when I try it in Mixcraft. And I have no option to set headpones output up there.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If you plug headphones into the Babyface headphone output port, do you have sound?

If not, check the Playback Device setting in Mixcraft's Sound Device preferences. Also, when selecting ASIO, check and make sure the Babyface Pro is selected in the ASIO Device setting.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

timurovec wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:41 pm I plugged speakers in headphones' input.
What are you doing with the monitor outputs? Doesn't make sense not to have some cables for that and use the headphone jack as intended.

M
timurovec

Post by timurovec »

Rolling Estonian wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 3:24 pm
timurovec wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:41 pm I plugged speakers in headphones' input.
What are you doing with the monitor outputs? Doesn't make sense not to have some cables for that and use the headphone jack as intended.
M
My speakers have only 3,5 jack output, where can I connect them instead headpones' connector of Babyface?
Acoustica Greg wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:20 am Hi,

If you plug headphones into the Babyface headphone output port, do you have sound?

If not, check the Playback Device setting in Mixcraft's Sound Device preferences. Also, when selecting ASIO, check and make sure the Babyface Pro is selected in the ASIO Device setting.

Greg
Yes, I have sound with headphones.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

2X XLR balanced outputs for powered monitors. Per product description and users manual.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Don't know if this is still troubling you but:

Connect the Babyface via USB to your computer. As a good measure, add a power adapter too especially if you are going to use the mic which uses phantom power at 48V. It's not 100% necessary and the unit is portable without it, but I've had flawless performance having the extra boost and not relying solely on the low voltage from the USB port.

Open the Fireface USB settings. Should be one of the hidden icons near your clock. Here set your buffer size and your sample rate. I recommend using 256 or as low as you can go without clicking or popping. You can go all the way down to 48 which is like 1 ms latency if your system can handle it. Set the sample rate to 48,000. It's my opinion but I don't think one needs to record at a higher sample rate.

The ASIO driver will be picked up by Mixcraft. Under Sound Device in Mixcraft preferences, I choose Analog 1(1)/Analog 2 (1) for both default recording and regular playback. If you are using the headphone jacks to route to your speakers, stop that right now. :D

Get an adapter like the link below and use the XLR outputs from the babyface. Keep the headphone jacks for headphones unless you have no choice.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083R5M9Z9/re ... NrPXRydWU=

If you do end up using the headphone jack then you'll want to set your playback device to Analog 3/4 I believe. But it gets tricky here with Windows and monitoring. Try and stick to Analog 1/2 and use the adapter because that is the speaker out directly from the Baby Face.

Next open TotalMix. In the lower right corner should be your control room, Click on AN 1/2 in the Control Room and adjust the fader to -3.0. For now I'll refer to this fader as Main.

Assuming you set the playback to Analog 1/2, bring the fader AN 1/2 in the SOFTWARE PLAYBACK box all the way down. Load a wave file or a song ripped from a CD that is already well balanced into Mixcraft. Start playing the song.

Come back to TotalMix, Click on Main again (this activates all of the faders in Software Playback and Hardware Inputs). Start raising AN 1/2 in Software Playback until you get to a level that you like for your speakers. Stop Playback.

Next to Main, there are a series of buttons. One of them is [Assign]. Click on it and make sure Phones 1 is assigned to PH 3/4. You should see PH 3/4 appear next to Main. Click on PH 3/4 and set it's fader to -3.0 just like you did for Main. Click M to mute Main and make sure M is NOT selected for PH 3/4.

Once you Click PH 3/4 you should see AN 1/2 fader in Software Playback set differently than Main. Lower the fader to -infinity and follow the same procedure to set it's level that you did for Main. Assuming you actually have headphones plugged in and on your head be very careful that the volume is ZERO before you hit play.

Once you get the levels set for Main (your speakers) and PH 3/4 (your headphones) you should be good to go.

I assigned Windows ADAT 5/6 so that the Windows volume has nothing to do with Mixcraft. This way my mixcraft levels are always set regardless of what I do in windows.

As far as guitar: Plug the guitar into one of the two 1/4 inch inputs. That should be number 3. In MIxcraft, when you arm a track you're going to want to choose 3 and left.

In totalmix, mute Instr 3/4, click on the little wrench, and turn off stereo. That should divide Instr 3 into two faders 3 and 4 (left and right). Control the guitar volume here. I said mute it here because I wanted to make sure you can hear it in Mixcraft and not just directly through the interface. In Mixcraft click on the little speaker icon on the track to Monitor Input on the track you just armed to 3/4 left.

You should be able to hear your guitar either through the speakers or your headphones.