Boston/Foreplay-Long Time (Instrumental)

Use this forum to show off any audio delights you've created with Mixcraft!

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

outteh

Boston/Foreplay-Long Time (Instrumental)

Post by outteh »

Foreplay/Long Time is a song by American rock band Boston, written by founder, leader, and multi-instrumentalist Tom Scholz. It appears on the band's 1976 self-titled debut album, and as their second single, on Epic Records in 1976. The song combines an instrumental introduction entitled, Foreplay, with the main song Long Time, generally played as one on the radio and listed as one track on the album. Long Time peaked at No. 22 on the Billboard Hot 100 the week ending March 5, 1977. It reached the Top 10 in Canada, peaking at No. 9. The standalone Foreplay was released as the B-side of Boston's next single Peace of Mind, which was released in April.
I couldn't do the vocals justice, so I went instrumental. Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio, Fender Stratocaster and Gibson Les Paul, Fener JP-90 Bass, VST instruments for Organ (HaNonB70) and Drums (Mixcraft Heavy Metal Kit).

https://soundcloud.com/outteh/boston-f ... trumental
TrevsAudio

Re: Boston/Foreplay-Long Time (Instrumental)

Post by TrevsAudio »

Great effort Tom :D
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
Ray Cube

Post by Ray Cube »

The first one minute 40 reminds me more of Camel than Boston where it becomes more like their earlier songs.
Great musicianship. Nicely laid out. Great job.
Mixcraft 9 Recording Studio.
Mixcraft 10 Pro.
Windows 10 Enterprise.
I9-900K. nvidia 3060 12GB. 64GB ram. 2 Samsung 28" monitors. Axiom Mini Air 32.
Tannoy Reveal speakers plus Tannoy 15" 250 watt sub. N.A.D and Cambridge Audio Amplification.
outteh

Post by outteh »

Thanks Ray and welcome to the forum! :D
Ray Cube

Post by Ray Cube »

Thank you.
I was lucky enough to hear some of Boston's tracks being mixed at the Roundhouse in London in the 70s and I have a few of their albums.
Not that track though, hence my 'Camel' comment.
I can also tell when I hear someone play whether they can read sheet music. I wish I had continued with music lessons as a child or had more talent. :lol:
You are a very gifted musician who has either a natural bent towards playing or very has worked very hard to get that good.
Do you compose your own music?
I like your musical versions on your Sound-cloud account. Also very surprised to see you cover 'Listen to the rhythm of the falling rain', which is really never played in the UK and a golden oldie in my books. 👍 I have the single (huge physical record collection of everything worth having up to the late eighties).
Anyway, I will look out for your future releases.
Ray.
Mixcraft 10 Pro.
Windows 10 Enterprise.
Tannoy Reveal speakers plus Tannoy 15" 250 watt sub. N.A.D and Cambridge Audio Amplification.
outteh

Post by outteh »

Thanks Ray. I have to admit I am not as talented as my cover songs might indicate. I don't have a talent for composing. I can string together a progression and add a little emphasis now and then but I have trouble with melodies. Thus I do cover songs and try my best to keep in time and sync. Thanks to the DAW I can do a few measures at a time and then string them together correcting mistakes and redoing a riff until I get one a like. I could never do this live, too slow and forgetful and my attempts at singing leave a lot to be desired. But, I enjoy it and I have fun. Thanks again and keep on playing. :D
Ray Cube

Post by Ray Cube »

You shouldn't put yourself down that much.
I am similar in that I'm too slow and can't play anything long enough to ever play live and have to rely in the abilities of a MIDI keyboard to correct my playing mistakes. But I can't read music so I have to listen really hard and try to make out keys and chords.
There is advantage to doing cover songs as I know people are more willing to listen to something they already know over something they have never heard. I often think I'm the only person who like my compositions 😉
I doubt anyone will ever catch me singing 🤣😅I don't even like my own voice when talking!

Ray.
Mixcraft 10 Pro.
Windows 10 Enterprise.
outteh

Post by outteh »

Thanks again Ray! Post some of your tunes for us to listen. :D