Starting a new project from an old one

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

gmpolin

Starting a new project from an old one

Post by gmpolin »

Greetings,

Sometimes I decide that I want to take an existing project and take it in a new direction. So, for example, I have a project called "ABC" in a folder. I make a copy of the folder, and rename it "ABC-2023". I open Mixcraft and open the project file in the new folder and Save As the project name to be 'ABC-2023". Then I go about working on it, thinking I have isolated the original project and changes will be made in the new folder.

Except this doesn't work. If I add an audio file, for example, to the new 2023 version of the project, it ends up being placed in the original ABC folder. This is confusing and makes backing things up more difficult.

What is the right way to branch one project off from an older one, and keep the files separate?

Glenn
TrevsAudio

Re: Starting a new project from an old one

Post by TrevsAudio »

Hi Glenn

Open your first project ABC and just 'save as' ABC 2023. No need to copy the project first.
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
gmpolin

Post by gmpolin »

TrevsAudio wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:40 pm Hi Glenn

Open your first project ABC and just 'save as' ABC 2023. No need to copy the project first.
How does that keep the projects separate? If if I improve a vocal take and delete the old audio file, does that affect the original project? And aren't all the files from the old project and the new all commingled together in one folder?

Thanks for any clarification on this. I'm sorry

Glenn
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

Try clicking on the folder icon in projects tab, after window opens, create a new project folder, then "save as" to that new folder.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

It depends on how you want to do it. You could have two projects sharing the same audio files in the same folder, and it would work because Mixcraft is a non-destructive editor. The original audio files don't change, Mixcraft just stores information about the edits you've made.

But later, if you needed to separate those projects out, it could get confusing unless you use the "Copy Project Files to..." option on the File menu.

Keeping everything in the same folder would save on hard drive space, but all the files for two projects would be mixed together.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
gmpolin

Post by gmpolin »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:04 pm Hi,

It depends on how you want to do it. You could have two projects sharing the same audio files in the same folder, and it would work because Mixcraft is a non-destructive editor. The original audio files don't change, Mixcraft just stores information about the edits you've made.

But later, if you needed to separate those projects out, it could get confusing unless you use the "Copy Project Files to..." option on the File menu.

Keeping everything in the same folder would save on hard drive space, but all the files for two projects would be mixed together.

Greg
Greg, thanks for responding. I don't want the two projects mingled. I want to create a second project from the first, and still be able to come back to the first and work on it independently. Both projects should have no connection except their origin. I really don't want the project files in the same folder for the two projects. So what is the right way to do that?

Glenn
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

As I suggested - Just open the first project, ABC and then 'save as' ABC 2023.

So in the Mixcraft project folder, you'll have one folder 'ABC' and another, ABC 2023. Both can be edited separately and independently of each other.
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
gmpolin

Post by gmpolin »

TrevsAudio wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:59 pm As I suggested - Just open the first project, ABC and then 'save as' ABC 2023.

So in the Mixcraft project folder, you'll have one folder 'ABC' and another, ABC 2023. Both can be edited separately and independently of each other.
I just tried it; when I do a Save As, it creates a new project file, but doesn't create a new folder. It continues referencing the files in the original folder.

Glenn
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

So, you want to do it the other way, which is to choose "Copy Project Files to..." from the File menu. That copies all the files you need for the project into a new project folder.

The disadvantage is that it takes up more hard drive space, but the advantage is that you clearly know which files go with which project, and you could archive them separately.

Greg
gmpolin

Post by gmpolin »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:33 pm Hi,

So, you want to do it the other way, which is to choose "Copy Project Files to..." from the File menu. That copies all the files you need for the project into a new project folder.

The disadvantage is that it takes up more hard drive space, but the advantage is that you clearly know which files go with which project, and you could archive them separately.

Greg
Thanks, Greg. That seems to work. I had thought that option was just for a backup, so I hadn't tried it.

Glenn
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Yeah, you can certainly use it to make variations of a project.

Greg