I don't update to version 10 and I'm leaving Mixcraft.

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Barth

I don't update to version 10 and I'm leaving Mixcraft.

Post by Barth »

I find it hard to believe that in 2023 there could be any prestigious professional DAW that still don't have the option to mute individual Midi notes.
Acoustica has every right to think it's not important, I accept that, and I have every right to find a solution, as I have. We have a major discrepancy.

I started with version 8 and fell in love with Mixcraft, hereafter MX, and even better with version 9, I had finally found a DAW to dedicate myself to and forget about the rest of DAWs.

But there was a problem, I couldn't mute Midi individual notes. I didn't realize it until I started arranging songs, besides, the more songs I made, the more I needed this feature. For me, who uses MIDI quite a bit, it is very important to be able to silence notes. All other renowned DAWs have this feature, and some much more modest DAWs than MX have it too.

And when I saw that my suggestion in this regard was not answered (as well as all my other suggestions), to make my wish clear, I made other comments on the forum about muting notes, which also remained unanswered. With the feeling that maybe I was in the wrong DAW, I finally started to emotionally disconnect from MX.

However, I searched for Midi plugins to add to the DAW, that would have the ability to conect with midi editor and mute notes, in a desperate attempt to continue in MX, but I did not find anything interesting, and in any case, it seemed like a patch, a bad solution.

So with the feeling that in version 10 nothing would change about it, I was not willing to wait another 3 or 4 more years to see if that would change for version 11, or maybe not either, or maybe could never mute notes in MX, so I started looking for other DAWs, it was laborious, but finally when was able to mute notes, it was a great satisfaction.

I'm not happy writing this. MX was my DAW by excellence, and some time ago it would not have occurred to me to think about changing, but reality rules. If i can’t mute notes in MX, I have to do it in another DAW.

I will miss this beautiful community of users, and Greg's much appreciated help. It's a great value. One never knows if any day I will return to MX, although it seems quite unlikely.
I wish you the best.
Acoustica Greg

Re: I don't update to version 10 and I'm leaving Mixcraft.

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that you feel that way! We get thousands of feature requests, and we can't possibly incorporate every feature request in every version upgrade. We're not a giant corporation, and every new feature requires man-hours for the development/testing/fixing cycle. It's up to the developers to decide what they work on, but we do pass along customer feedback. We also did a feature survey at one point and a lot of the new features in Mixcraft 10 ranked high in that survey.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
neuralmix

Post by neuralmix »

It's not a deal-breaker for me although I'd love to have that ability (to mute certain notes) but I'm wondering: the new javascript thingy, is it "just" for hardware controllers or could I maybe script something that would enable such a feature?

I was thinking: maybe set that note's velocity to 0, store the original velocity in an array, and if unmute, reset its velocity to original strength
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

The new scripting feature is just for controllers.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

neuralmix wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:17 pm It's not a deal-breaker for me although I'd love to have that ability (to mute certain notes) but I'm wondering: the new javascript thingy, is it "just" for hardware controllers or could I maybe script something that would enable such a feature?

I was thinking: maybe set that note's velocity to 0, store the original velocity in an array, and if unmute, reset its velocity to original strength
Along the same line maybe create a new lane, copy your clips to that lane. Mute those copied clips. Now on you original, do as you said. Right click a note and set it's velocity to 0. Or delete that note entirely

When you're done testing or whatever, just unmute the other clip. You could copy it back fully intact or delete the edited one. And in Mixcraft 10 since even selecting multiple clips in multiple lanes creates the ghost note feature, you can see, switch and edit between the two clips however you want. So if you deleted that middle C in clip 1 - it still shows in clip 2 etc. And if you deleted notes in the original clip that you still want but added a few others, just merge the clips together.

There's also Notemapper. If you want to mute all of a certain note or change its pitch or all kinds of other stuff without effecting the clip, Notemapper is the tool.
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

Just curious. Why the need to mute selected notes? I can't think of a reason I would do that.
RStudio

Post by RStudio »

jwarv wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:47 pm Just curious. Why the need to mute selected notes? I can't think of a reason I would do that.
This is just a guess, but maybe the information from the muted midi notes continues to be read further, and from the deleted/disconnected ones not. Perhaps this method can be used on instruments that have a round robin or a recorded set of syllables (choir, for example).

I had one case when using a choir. I needed not just to lower the velocity/loudness of some notes, but to mute them so that all the phrases continue to be read from them, but at the same time so that they do not sound in a certain part of the track. And not finding an alternative to this function, I just reduced the volume of the midi clip and made the volume with automation increase only in those places where it was necessary.
Barth

Post by Barth »

jwarv wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:47 pm Just curious. Why the need to mute selected notes? I can't think of a reason I would do that.
Hi, this is copied from the Logic Manual on Mute Notes:
“You can mute individual notes in the Piano Roll Editor, letting you experiment with different note choices in a melody, or different chord voicings, for example.”

As the text says, it is an example. You can experiment in many ways.
In my case, when I compose, sometimes ideas for additional arrangements come up, which consist of simply adding or deleting notes within a clip.

But I don't want to lose the old arrangement to the new idea. I want to have the 2 arrangements, the old one and the new one.

If I add notes, I can mute those notes that I add, so that whenever I want I can continue listening to the previous arrangement, I unmute these notes if I want to listen the new arrangement.

And if the new arrangement is to remove notes, instead of erasing them, I mute them, so I can at any time listen to those notes again, and I have the previous arrangement available.

The idea is not to lose some musical ideas, and to have version A and B in the same clip.
This can be useful for bass, piano, drums, etc. whatever.

Greetings.
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

Why not change the MIDI channel of the notes you don't want to hear to one that isn't in use?

MX10 even lets you set the color by MIDI channel to see which ones are on or off.
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

Ah, ok. So, keeping your options open, but within the same space. I guess it's a workflow thing. I would duplicate the whole clip and fiddle with that so as not to lose the original. Otherwise, I would get confused about what I did with everything in the same area. But that's just me. 8)
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

How should muting notes work if they overlap with active notes? How can you choose them if you can't see them anymore behind an active note?

I would also prefer to duplicate the clip. So you have as many backups of the clip as you like.

Patrick
purplepat69

Post by purplepat69 »

Admittedly, I don't know enough to be dangerous here. I screw around more with my stuff than I do actually trying to create something. But here's my thought, as this is something I want (think I want) to do...

I want to do some live loop playing. Take your typical percussion track, the groove is usually repetitive so I can just create a drum loop on the fly and have it keep playing. But at certain points in the song, the repetitive groove is broken up with a fill, or transition to the next verse. Ideally, when those parts in the song come up, I'd like to be able to quickly mute the MIDI notes in the playing loop and instead perform the fill/transition (with the same instrument/track, or on another track with the same instrument) before unmuting the MIDI notes in the loop to pick the repetitive groove back up. Not sure how to make that happen, but that is something I want to implement. Might be other ways to skin this cat as well; again, I don't know enough to be dangerous yet.
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

I could also think of that in a playing drum loop clip. But there comes up a lot of depending questions as I said. Including the questing if muted notes must be saved in the clip. If so, then there is the question if it is still a standard midi file? I'm not sure if midi file type supports muted notes. It could have a lot of dependencies I think.

In this case a voting process and a roadmap would be nice to find out how many users need this feature and what is the priority for this feature. To keep users happy they need to know when it is planed or not and why. Currently nobody knows anything about what is coming and when.
Barth

Post by Barth »

bigaquarium wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:40 am Why not change the MIDI channel of the notes you don't want to hear to one that isn't in use?

MX10 even lets you set the color by MIDI channel to see which ones are on or off.
I think what you propose is a good idea.

However, I have tried changing the midi channel of some notes, from CH1 to CH2 and

1 – All CH1 and CH2 notes were still heard, it seems that changing the channel does not silence the notes.
2 – They were still the same color, so I can't distinguish which notes are deactivated and which ones are not. Here the color per MIDI channel could be configured as you say, although I don't know how to do it.
3 – If the new channel, in this case it would be CH2, were occupied by another instrument, then it would not work good because the instrument assigned to CH2 would be heard.

Greetings
RStudio

Post by RStudio »

Barth wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:12 am
bigaquarium wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:40 am Why not change the MIDI channel of the notes you don't want to hear to one that isn't in use?

I think what you propose is a good idea.

However, I have tried changing the midi channel of some notes, from CH1 to CH2 and

1 – All CH1 and CH2 notes were still heard, it seems that changing the channel does not silence the notes.
2 – They were still the same color, so I can't distinguish which notes are deactivated and which ones are not. Here the color per MIDI channel could be configured as you say, although I don't know how to do it.
3 – If the new channel, in this case it would be CH2, were occupied by another instrument, then it would not work good because the instrument assigned to CH2 would be heard.

Greetings
Except for one instrument, there's nothing else here.
Check this video: https://cryptpad.fr/file/#/2/file/R8CC0 ... a5olfoN2U/

P.S. I haven't tried adding instruments to other midi channels, so I can't say anything about that. The question here is how you will have to route each note separately if you have other instruments in your sampler channels.
Last edited by RStudio on Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.